News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

about to purchase

Started by mosey, July 11, 2017, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mosey

hi folks..i put a deposit on a 77' rear kitchen, two chair, model with a 440 eng., the rv has been sitting a while (unknown with certainty how long), looks to be in nice overall cond. with 62k on the clock, no generator (looks to have been removed), no awning, all original interior fixtures in nice condition, (other than brittle plastic light covers), operation of systems is unknown and likely will not be able to test until after purchase, all tires look to be in good shape with much tread and no dry rot/cracking except for one inner rear, all exterior fg is intact with no sign of cracking, does run drive with likely old gas, has a non receiver hitch (i think it towed canoes at some point), roof shows signs of previous sealing around fixtures that has deteriorated, no sign of leak damage inside, has roof air, some rust through on lower drivers door,..can someone give me an idea of value ? he is asking $3600

rvguy101

to me it not. due to the tires looking good. they can be bad. tire age over time,. so maybe talk down some,.& them need a lot of tlc lot of it.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

mosey

thanks, i was planning on offering less due to the untested condition of systems, it seems i could drop 1k into the rv pretty quickly, also..the fuel line from the non existent  gen is in place...i assume the gen fed fuel off the rv gas tank..the fuel line isnt capped off, will fuel be fed through the line when level in rv tank goes above gen feed level ?..what are typical issues with this vintage clipper

Toedtoes

If the seller won't let you test the systems, then I'd be very very wary.

I new fridge will run about $1000. A new hot water tank and heater will run about $600. 

An engine rebuild can run you at least $5000 (likely more). A carb rebuild is about $300 or so.

Then there is everything else. The rubber hoses, belts, etc., that will need replacing. Batteries. Converter/charger. And so on.

A clipper in excellent condition requiring nothing but maybe a new battery is worth about $6000.

A clipper in good condition requiring minor work in either the house or engine is worth around $4500.

A clipper in fair condition requiring one major fix in either house or engine (plus minor work in either or both) is worth around $3000.

A clipper in poor condition requiring major work in both house and engine is worth less than $3000.

Tires and batteries don't really affect price because they are going to have to be replaced regularly anyway. Fuel lines will affect price because a leak is a safety issue.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

mosey

thanks, yeah the sellers were standing on 3500,  had been sitting since 91' overall in decent original cond. ran a bit rough and they were not cooperating with my requests to check systems..i passed as they wouldnt even hear an offer..right ..needed tires/brakes/all rubber bits..looked like same oil filter since 91'..lol..sellers just put in battery poured some gas in the carb and cranked her till she started..yikes !!  i was prepared to offer 2500-2800

rvguy101

u can find, another one. that is in better condition. both of my. was in good condition.

Toedtoes

Regardless of age or type of RV, if the seller refuses to let you check the systems, walk away. No matter what reason they give you, the truth is there are serious problems.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

rvguy101

i got to stuck with Toedtoes. i walk away, if the seller refuses to let me test them,. i may buy it for the engine. & off to the salvage yard for the rest of it,.