News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Suggestions for lug wrench?

Started by Autoarcheologist, November 16, 2016, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autoarcheologist

I have been going through all the stuff included with our 1980 Clipper but I have not found a lug wrench.   I found two Jacks,  but nothing to remove the lugs.

When  I was doing the brakes I used a 3/4" drive ratchet and 1-1/8" socket with a cheater bar to remove the front wheels.   But it won't fit into the rear wheels.

Also where was the original lug wrench stored?

Thanks,
Ian
Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member
1980 Clipper Rear Bath 821F

pdxpfeifer

Hi Ian -
I had the same question! We found the equipment with our Clipper won't even lift the RV or take any bolts off  :(

This is from the forum and I just found it on the search. http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=2715.msg11954#msg11954

Re: Proper Equipment For Clippers
? Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:25 PM ?
Hi All Clipper Folks,
Well Here Is A Follow Up Post On This Topic.

Was Hoping On More Feedback, Seems There Are People Like To Read These Posts, They Are Real Good Information.

Wanted To Say That Toedtoes, Is Right On Track With Her Post.

1.) Now, Before All Trips You Need To Look At All Tires For Low Tire Pressure Front & Rear.
2.) You Want To Make Sure You Carry The  Large  Lug Wrench  & Bar For 1 1/8" Lug Nuts.at's Great You Were Able To Get To The Bottom Of The Cause.

It Is Also Good To Carry A Good 1-1/8" Lug Wrench & 24" Large Bar That Came With Clippers.
It Does Help To Have A Compact 20 Ton Jack. They Do Not Take Up Much Space.

3.) It Is Wise To Buy A 20 Ton Bottle Hydraulic Jack, They Are About $40.00 From Lowes. They Are Easy To Store. It Lifts Clipper With Ease.
4.) It Is Also Wise To Have A Small 12Vdc Air Compressor, This Can Also Be Used On Air Bags If Applied To Your Clipper.
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

I have 2 of the 20 ton hydraulic jacks.  I keep them in the outside storage compartment.  Had to use them when I backed the clipper over a pointy rock - well Clipper Joe used them... 

I have a lug wrench that came with the clipper - it was just in the outside storage.  I don't think there was a "dedicated space" for that stuff.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Autoarcheologist

I only use the 3/4" drive wrench for the flywheel bolt on our boat.  So it can live in the clipper, I just need an extension to get into the rear wheels.

I have a 6 ton bottle jack but plan to look into the 20 ton.

I also need a piece of pipe for a cheater bar, I normally use the end of my floor jack handle.  But I don't want to have to remember to pack that.

I am also considering one of these to get the lug nuts off.  But I really need to figure out how to measure the torque when tightening to make sure they are close to the 300 ft lb spec.

http://www.torquemultiplierlugwrench.com/

Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member

Autoarcheologist

Good news!  When packing for our maiden voyage I found the original lug wrench and 24" breaker bar stashed below the rear dinette seat.  They had rolled all the way back and I missed them the first time I looked.

Now I can pull the rear wheels to check the rear brakes, not that I really want to.  Sigh...
Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member

Clipper Joe

Hello Ian,

When Removing Rear Dual Wheels, Make Sure You Re-Alien Wheel Pins 180 Degree To Valve Stems, Also When Removing Rear Axle Hub , Make Sure You Re-Check Bearing Pre-Loads At Lock Nuts, Torque Axle Bolts & Wheels To MB300 Specs.

Good Luck, If You Need Info, I Have A Great Shop Manual. PM If Needed Info.

Good Luck,
Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

LARRY RAY

Don't forget the torch on the back one's close to 300 if no mistaken. And that means TIGHT.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.