News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Minor outside fixes

Started by pdxpfeifer, February 27, 2016, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Hi guys
As you can see I'm on a laundry list of small repairs. I had asked about spider cracks, but didn't do a photo. Someone had suggested boat shop that specializes in fiberglass?

I am wondering
1. Spider cracks in Rv. Best repair? They are on the back and sides of the body.
Photo attached.

2. Best cream pair color for touch ups? I'm thinking spray can? The arms of the mirrors look like garbage and the inside drivers door has some rust.
Photos attached

3. Back bumper slightly squished by previous owner. The ladder has become separated at bottom and screws in arm pulled out. I'm light enough I can still climb it. But can the ladder be appoxied or welded back into one piece?
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

pdxpfeifer

Forum would't  allow me to upload photos. They are here on google drive if you want to see

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/rQi6n8do0e0vjSRmz5yUImEZpAg8PmPy6srF9BOfxUE

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Will Try & Answer Your Questions, Typed A Long List But Hit Wrong Key Lost It All. :-[ So I Will Address One Item At A Time.
# 1
Spider Cracks, These Should Be Done By A Pro Body Shop That Works On Fiberglass Repairs. If You Are Handy This May Help You To Repair This Problem & Save You Some $$$$, I Have Repaired A Fiberglass Boat In The Pass. Due To These Clippers Being 40+ Years Old, At Factory They Were Made In Molds, With Dodge Wimbledon White Gel Coat Over Fiberglass. I Have Found Due To Age & Fading Over The Years That The Spray Paint Rust-Oleum 7789 Canvas White Works Very Well, I Have Used It On My 1977 Clipper.  ;)
Now To Spider Cracks, Clean And Sand Lightly Crack Area, Then Use Bondo Fiberglass Resin & Clear Hardener, Mix To Specs. Use Plastic Squeegee Or Rubber Or Plastic Putty Knife. Apply Lightly Instead Of A Big Goob. :-\ Harder To Sand If To Much Is Applied, Use 100-320 Grit Sand Paper, Sand Smooth, Then When Fiberglass Is Ready, Spray Canvas White Light Coats, Let Dry Well Do Not Rush Resin Or Paint Process. ;) Try Feather Spray So There Is Not A Build Up On Fiberglass Edges. Remember To Post Repairs So Other Clipper Owners Can See & Share Your Work, Good Luck & Please Reply If You Have Any Questions.
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Hello pdxpfeifer,
Like I Stated Had All Questions Answered, Then Hit Wrong Key Lost All, ( Bummer ) :-[

There Are Many Shades Of White, Due To The Age & Fading Of Our Clippers Of 40+Years.
You Want To Make A Few Test Samples On A Small Metal, Use Canvas White Or Polar White & See Which One Matches Best. ;)
Make Sure You Sand All Rust Off Metal Surface & Use A Good Grade Light Gray Automotive Primer. Let Dry Completely Do Not Rush This.

Good Luck & Post Repairs So Other Clipper Owners Can Share,
Joe

ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Hello Again Pdxpfeifer,

Question #3  ( Ladder)
What You Want To Do Is Remove All Screws From Lower Ladder Angle Supports, From Bumper, Then Either Send Bumper Out To Chrome Shop To Have It Re-Straighten Out Or If You have A Few Beefy Guys You May Be Able To Push It Back Into Position, Sometimes You Can Gently Put Into Position With A Truck Bumper. Then If You Need New Ladder Brackets The American Clipper Supply Officers Sells Them @ A Good Price, ;) Order Form On This Web Site.
To Repair Broken Ladder Pipe Get A Small Aluminium Rod Same Inside Dia. Of Ladder, Then You Can Use JB-Weld After You Join Rod Inside For Extra Support, Use 4ea. Stainless Steel Screws Into Ladder & Rod. Re- Attached Back Onto Bumper, Should Work Fine. ;D
Please Share Your Repairs With Other Club Members, Feel Free To Reply If You Have Any Questions?
Joe 
ACOC#3749

pdxpfeifer

Thanks Clipper Joe!
Super helpful as usual, sorry you had to retype, that's one drawback to this forum. I have used it for years for my bicycle club and it's a bummer when you do all that typing and it erases  :P

Good reminder on getting rid of rust and priming. I will add these small pile of repairs to a before and after list of picts to share with the club. It has been super helpful to me when I see photos of other peoples work.

I have to get to the overhead hatch first, that' today to try and caulk it shut. Mel won't be back till April to send me my new overhead hatch (I will be asking a ton of questions then)

Then the water damage on the inside, I posted about in anther email.

Great idea about the pipe inside to help support and repair the ladder and nice suggestion on the chrome shop too. I will look some up in my area on Monday.

I got all the wiring done for the new car radio and CB, I need to go through today and put in the permanent nipple things for the wires (sorry don't know what they are called) those heat melt things for the wires to keep them more secure that electrical tape.

Hubby decided he was tired of not having a radio and me the CB - so guess who got to do the work :) LOL, my dad was a duck tape mechanic so I learned a lot as a kid. But it will be nice to have AM through the Tillamook forest so if there is weather or a traffic issue we can maybe hear about it. I also got the CB with weather alerts on it too. Usually we are good here in Oregon, but last summer with some high winds coming out of the coast really made Nina the Clipper sway!

Toedtoes

FYI, for uploading photos, the main reason it won't let you do so is because your images are too big.  You can attach TWO photos per post - each photo has to be UNDER 300KB (I usually size mine to about 250-275 to be sure it will go through).

I know the size limitation is bothersome, but we have been provided hosting/server space by a prior member (Shane) at no cost and we don't want to "overstay our welcome" by filling up his server (it's his living).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754