News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Squealing belts

Started by pdxpfeifer, October 04, 2015, 05:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

The belts keep squealing! I have added belt dressing and had them tightened. Still squealing- is it the alignment? Suggestions please.
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

kenmel

Can be Misalignment or has the belt been replaced yet? it could be stretched, if dash a/c is hooked up the compressor could be going out, bearing in alternator pully could be going out etc... Can you tell where it is squealing from on the front of the engine? Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,

Alignment Is Very Important,Then Check Pulley Condition For Excess Wear, And How Worn Are The Belts Them Self? There Is A Lot Of Heat In These Engine Bays.. :-[  Also The Supply Officer Mel @ ACOC Club Sells A Long Grade 8 Bolt For Alt.This Is Important Grade 5 Seems To Brake Under The Stress. Make Sure You Have Right Tension On All V-ee Belts.

This Is A Must For Dodge Clippers, Using Double V-ee Pulley On Power Steering Pump, I Got Mine Years Ago From Ford.
Mopar Discontinued Them Years Ago. I Have A Spare Since These Came From Canada Ford, & Hard To Get. Except From A Wrecking Yard Used.

The Early Ford Vans Used Them & Is The Same Size Power Steering Shaft On Dodge 440 Cu.In.

When Installing V-ee Belts You Want To Use A Good Grade, Also If Possible Used Match Set Belts, I get Mine Either Gates, Dayco,Goodyear, Cogged Style Power Plus. Very Good.

Hope This Helps, Pdxpfeifer & Ken

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

pdxpfeifer

Hey guys
I reposed I never responded to this. Sorry about that. Belts should be brand new and the squeezing is coming from the front, I think. How do I check the size? Any idea what tension they should be set?

The engine was rebuilt and the shop did new belts, new hoses, new radiator. We have a new carburetor too. The engine got screwed up in less than 8 trips cause it kept overheating, the entire thing had to be pulled rebuilt and put back together. Ends up the shop did not replace the fan clutch and it was broken!

So this is the second rebuilt and when they put it in the belts immediately started squealing so I tried belt dressing to get back home from my trip then took it to a shop I trust and they tightened the belts, they had stretched since it was all new. It sat about two weeks and the next trip as soon as we put the Rv Underload (climbing the cascade mountains) going to the coast they started to squeal again and the. Squealed the rest of the trip. I applied more belt dressing to try and stop it.

They don't squeal all the time but at some point in the trip you were looking at a solid hour of that horrible squeal!

Th ask for all the suggestions!

Robyn
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Clipper Joe

Hi Roybn,
I Also Have A 1977 Dodge 440ci Clipper.
It Is Hard To Say Without Seeing Clipper.
If You PM Clipper Joe
& Send Me Your Phone # We Can Go Over Some Stuff That Should Be Able To Fix This.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher