News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

4wd conversion

Started by kenmel, September 13, 2015, 08:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenmel

My clipper maybe being converted to 4wd, sorta like this example from a guy I am on another forum with. I have a Dana 60 front axle, shifter and linkage, front driveshaft already, the only thing left to find is a transfer case. So waddya people think yes or no? This actual combination was offered on the van chassis in 1978 so everything is just bolt in. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Sfine

YES! yes And Yes!! Awesome idea, I've has ours in snow and the front end is light, having power on the front end would be awesome.  I've seen some killer  4WDChinooks, but a little high off the ground.
Let us know how it works out!
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

kenmel

Only difference is this one has a Dana 44 front end but I have found a great deal on a 60 out from underneath an 85 Dodge dually 4x4 lol. That way all the bolt patterns would remain the same. I have been checking load ratings on a few tires and have found a set of 35" mud tires that will work with the weight on single rear wheels even fully loaded with gear. I also have been looking at new  airbags for the rear after it will be raised 5 inches and found a set that will work perfectly, I am waiting on another person to let me know what shocks and etc parts were used on theirs. I don't know if I am doing it but it is a very serious maybe lol. It would open up a lot more boondocking and stealth camping. I am thinking either a gray for mine or the flat earth colors the military uses because I can get it cheap and touchups are a snap lol. Should be  comfortable cruising speed of around 60-65 or so and 2300-2500rpms with the bigger tires. SO it has me a thinkin lol.  Ken

Sfine

Fun!
Do I understand that the rear wheels would be single! And the rig 5 inches higher...now I'm scared!!
And 65 MPH?! Crapping my britches big time!!!   I was thinking that you would be simply adding drive to the front end...wow...
That would be quite an endevour to undertake.  But if it worked for your friend, why not eh?!
Hey, I'll support you along the way...cheer ya on and all, but even if it went flawlessly I think personally I'll stay stock, although I love your creative upgrade. 
  Other than snow, we've been in some pretty rough circumstances in just two wheel drive, I can't imagine anything rougher in an RV, the bumps and swaying to and fro. 
Is this something you would tackle on your own? I wouldn't know where to begin, what is your cost estimate?
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

kenmel

I am still not sure about it yet lol, but I am going to go ahead and accumulate the parts lol. I am just guessing at the 5 inchs of lift but I think that was what it was I am thinking just high enough that nothing rubs when it is offcamber, The taller tires would help with the speed, and with his backspacing it seems like it would be a lot more stable at speed than it was stock. Might have to do with having an all new frontend though too lol. Ken

kenmel

Yeah, I can do this swap myself, its not too bad lol. My dad was a career mechanic and taught me to work on my own stuff young lol, so far adding up prices it would be 500 for a used good Dana 60 front end, new front driveshaft 100, transfer case 100-125, linkages and shifter 75-100, tires and wheels new around 15-1700, used but nearly new 7-800, so between 1550-2300 total and my time.

Casti891

I love the idea! Curious, did it end up working out? If not what were the reasons?