News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Loud popping sound from Front end ?

Started by Rd Ready, April 01, 2015, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd Ready

I took Webster out for a Drive today to check things out, I noticed when I turn to Sharply there is a Loud Popping noise coming from the front end, Has anyone else experienced this.. ? if so what could it be ? any help would be helpful Thank you..

Sfine

If it's the same sound...almost as though you had turned the wheel too far, then it will make several "pops".. Like a release.    I can't explain why, but was told that is normal.
The first time I took ours out it creaked in tight turns, parking lot turns, not at speeds of any amount.
Seems the sound occurs less with wider, slower turns.
I don't imagine that I answered your question satisfactorily....but you are not alone if it's the same sound. Surely someone will know much more than I and be able to explain the sounds reason or origin.  I'll be interested .
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve & Rd Ready,
What May Be The Noise That You Are Hearing Is....

The Stops @ The End Of The Turning Radius Is Metal To Metal.
I Have Heard That Some Old Timers Or Old Mopar Guys, Use To Put Some Thick Tar On These Stops, Then Renew After Some Time To Lube The Steel Stops.

If You Want To Try Put A Little Wheel Bearing Grease & See If Noise Goes Away.

There Is One Other Noisey Front End Problem, @ Top Of Coil Springs, That Rub On Top Of A Arms.
You Can Spray Small Amount Of either WD-40 Or Clear Silicone Spray.

Hope This Helps With The 40 Year Old Noises We Get With These Great RVs ;)

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hey Rd Ready,Steve,
One Other Thing I Found On Another RV Site.
They Were Stating The Best Way For Checking Front End On Older Dodge RV, Is To Jack Up Front End, Add Jack Stands. Use A Pry Bar Or 2"x4" & Jeggle Front Wheels & Check For Movement In Tie-Rods, Ball Joints, Also Check Looseness In Steering Gearbox & Rag Coupling On Steering Top.

This Will Also Check Condition Of Front Wheel Bearings.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Hey RdReady,

Did You Fine Problem In Front End Yet.

Please Share On Web Site, Members Have Sometimes Same Problems.

Joe. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
ACOC#3749

LARRY RAY

Yes on the Dodge it has a stop. If you turn to hard it will pop. Nothing to worry about. You can get someone to turn the wheel for you and see that there is an angled stop that will try and ride up. Just back off a bit and all will be good.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Rd Ready

Thanks Guys for all your info... I will Try all those things. Soon, Right now I am trying to replace Back wood, just behind the back bumper.. 

Sfine

From the underside?!
Which floor plan do you have again?
     Murphys, California

Rd Ready

Sfine, rear Kitchen Long couch, 821 F...

Clipperlover10-04

I too have a loud popping noise occasionally. Not just when turning. sometimes when i hit the brakes abruptly, its always worried me.
1979 Dodge 440, 821 SK-FCIT, 50,000 original miles
ACOC 3765

Clipper Joe

Hello Clipperlover10-04,

I have Replaced All Front End Stuff, Idler Arms, Tie-rods & Ends, Drag Links, Steering Box Etc. Had The Front End Relined

I Also Found That The Bushing Rubbers Were Worn Very Badly From Not Being Installed Right. I Have A Real Go Procedure On How To Install These On Your Dodge Clipper. It Will Be Posted In A Future  ACOC Newsletter. They Are For Members And Come Out Each Quarterly. ;)

I Have Also Found That The Stops Which Are Just Metal To Metal. Sometimes You Can Add Small Dab Of Grease Will Help With The Rubbing, Noise.

The Best Improvement Was When I Added A Helwig Sway Bar Unit, Helped With That Swaying You Get When Turning & In High Winds.

Make Sure You Check Your Front End & Grease Per Owners Manual, Also Make Sure You Run A Heavy Duty Shock, There Is A lot Of Weight On These Clippers 10,000 +

Good Luck & Happy Camping,
Joe 
ACOC#3749

Clipperlover10-04

Found out the loud popping noise was bad ball joints! Having upper and lowers replaced. Also, radius rod bushings and motor mounts. Having lots of work done, thankfully my mechanic is my cousin so im not getting robbed by a shop lol!!!
1979 Dodge 440, 821 SK-FCIT, 50,000 original miles
ACOC 3765

Clipper Joe

Hi Clipperlover 10-04,
Most Old Mopar Vans,
Required Some Grease Maintance Over The Years. ;)

I Try To Lube My Clipper, Grease Front, Steering Unit 
I.e. Idler Arms Tie Rods,Draglink, Steering Link,
Ball Joints, Note: Do Not Over Lube, Just To Add To Rubber Ball,
With out Popping It.
Also If You Replaced U-Joints On Drive Shaft, Lube Those Two,
Fittings Also,They Have Needle Bearings In Them.

I Also Added New Steering Box, & Front Helwig  Anti Sway Bar, Read Larry Rays Old Post,
He Explains In Depth.
Just Log In & Use Search Box, on Clipper Forum.

Joe
Ps; It's Nice To Hear that. Someone Is Updating There Clipper also
Making It Safe To Go Down The Road & Camp. ;)
ACOC#3749