News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fresh water pump

Started by Sfine, October 21, 2014, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfine

what would make a water pump NOT shut off?   It's not a slow leak where it goes off and on.
It's full boogie running out of the faucets that I open, and continues to run when all faucets are closed.
There must be a pressure shut off somewhere, and probably the diaphragm is worn and won't hold enough water pressure to engage whatever shut off is in place..?..!..?
Is this all one unit, the pump and shut off sensor?  Looking at the pump, all I recognize is the pump, I don't see anything that looks like an external switch, or whatever.
Thanks,
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

I found this old thread:  http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=93.msg283#msg283

It suggests two possibilities:

1. It needs to fill your hot water tank - once that's filled, the pump will stop running until you turn on a faucet;

2. It needs to be primed - instructions on how to do so are in the old thread.

Hopefully, it's one of those two things. :)

If not, if no one else has any possibilities, we should be able to problem solve it at the rally.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
Is Your Water Pump A ShureFlo?

You Can Go To www.ShureFlo.com.
They Have Manuels For A lot Of Water Pumps.
The Pressure Switch Is In Head Unit.

They Do Sell A Kit To Rebuild Unit.
If You Put A New One Get A Quite High Demand One.
I Put A Inline Filter On My Pump, Sold By ShureFlo. Some People Use A Strainer.
You Can Clean Them Yearly.
Like Toedtoes Stated, Will Get More Info @ Rally.

Joe  🇺🇸

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

Yippee ! Rally in a few days!!!
Yes it's a sureflo, and replaced with another sureflo.
  The priming  sounds very plausible, since I did run dry on last trip. But to no avail, water comes out of everything when the spigot is open, so it should be burped by now. Shower, sinks, toilet.
It runs...the pump.  But the level remains the same, surely there is no escape for the water...
Tomorrow I'll test both of the pumps and have an answer.
Hot water....how long does six gallons take? I'll try that too and let you know.
  Seems so oddly simple.
Thanks you two....safe travels to Goldstrike Village!!!!
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hey Steve,
How's The Weather Up Your Way?
Hope We Don't Get Rain That Weekend.
We Sure Need Rain, But Not This Weekend Huh?

Will Get Your Pump Problem Up There.
But Knowing You, You Will Have It Worked Out Tomorrow.

Joe 🇺🇸
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

I looked earlier today and it was showing rain on Saturday only between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.  Hopefully that will peter out and we won't see rain until after Monday.

Sfine

As weather goes...it's a crap shoot. As Toes reported we may see rain on Saturday.
But as of lately, we are seeing low 40' s in the mornings, typical fall weather with pleasant days.  The fall colors are showing further up the hill, worth the extra drive for anyone who has the time.

Murphys, California

Toedtoes

We'll need to arrange for clipper photos BEFORE the rain hits.

Sfine

Crazy, get this.
As I said the new pump responded the same. Pumped, but never shut off .
I took it out. Looked at mine, opened it up to see what makes it shut off and on.
I found a small diaphragm with the pressure switch under it, when pressure builds against the diaphragm it flexes and pushes the button.  I engaged the switch manually, heard it click off and on. I reinstalled and it works!! Sounds a little different, but works fine, so far!!  The new pump dimmed the lights when it ran, so part of the problem lies therein. A faulty replacement. Parts guy says its a rarity.
What made mine begin to work again must of been moving the switch around and making a better connection, I can only surmise.  I'm sure not allowing it to sit dry is a good precaution as well.
At the end of the day my water works and I've returned the pump. Not a bad day.
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

Yeah!!

Glad it's working - we wouldn't want you to stink all weekend.  ::)