News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Refreshing Brake Fluid

Started by Clipper Joe, September 22, 2014, 02:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hi All You Clipper Owners Out There,

Just Wanted To Let You Know Something I Just Came Across, After A Dry Camping Trip.
I Have A 1977 Rear Kitchen Dodge Clipper.
I Was Drive Into The High Mountain Roads, With High Climbing & Some Steep Down Grades.

I Was Towing My Boat, Was Being Real Safe To Not To Use My Brakes, Pumping As Needed.
Then I Felt A Shudder Coming From Right Front Brake, Smelled Brake Pads.
Pulled To A Turn Out & Felt Wheel, It Was Pretty Warm, :-[
Driver Wheel Was A lot Cooler.
What Had Happen Front Right Caliber Locked Out & Was Dragging Brake Pads Against Rotor.

Got To Camping Area, Then Jacked Up & Repaired Problem.

Well I Also Found That I Have Over Time And A lot Of Braking On Mountain Driving, My Brake Fluid Was Not Up To Par, Dark & Dirty.

So I Recommend You Use A Good Grade Of Dot 3 Brake Fluid & Bleed & Refresh Your Brake Lines, Rear Brake Cylinders, Front Calibers & Master Brake Cylinder.

Please Feel To Ask If You Have Any Questions On This Topic.
Be Safe, These Old Rigs Are Getting Up There In Age.

Happy Clippering Hope To See You At Oct. Rally,

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Autoarcheologist

To add to this,  if your brake hoses are more than 20 years old you should replace them.   They will swell up over time and not allow fluid through,  or will not allow the fluid to release which will cause the pads to drag and potentially lock up.

The front hoses are easy to replace and are available,  the rear hose is a bit more challenging as mine was under one of the airbags.   It added an hour to the job to unlock and push the airbag out of the way.

After replacing the hoses and fluid and bleeding well our brakes work much better.

This is something I check on all old cars we buy.

Ian
Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member
1980 Clipper Rear Bath 821F