News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Bumper

Started by sandeelfly, September 03, 2014, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandeelfly

I need a rear bumper for a 1977....or a recommendation for a reasonable replacement/substitution.

Thanks,

sandeelfly@gmail.com
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979
Retired, now Fly fishing and oil painting.

Toedtoes

I believe most folks have hunted down old B300 van bumpers at wrecking yards.  Clipper Joe will likely have some ideas - but I believe he's out of internet reach for the week, so be patient, he should pop in at some point. :)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

sandeelfly

The standard B300 chassis van is only 79" wide.  Utah law requires a bumper width to cover outside of tread width of the rear tires which is about 90" on my clipper....
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979

Toedtoes

I measured my clipper and at the widest part, it is only 84" wide.  My tires aren't adding any width to that.  My bumper isn't any wider than that.

You might have to go to a wrecking yard and just start measuring different truck/van bumpers for one that would work.  Or maybe see if someone can manufacturer one for you.

Clipper Joe

Hello Sandeefly,

That Is Common Problem On Wrap Around Chrome Clipper Bumpers. :-[

This Can Be Repaired By A Good Bumper Shop, They Straighten Them & Re-Weld & Re-Chrome.

At On Time In The Past, The Supply Officer Mel, Had Them Made, He Had To Have 200 Made. I Think They Were All Sold Out Over The Years.
I Would Check For A Salvaged Clipper In Wrecking Yards, I Have Been Looking For A Rust Free Rear Chrome Bumper For Years.

You Stated In Your State, You Need It Longer, Wow I Think The State Will Grand-Father In On The Stock Bumper It Came With. You May Check. that Means Any Clippers Coming Into You State You Have To Change Rear Bumper, ???   I Don't Think So >> Not Me. :o

Hope This Helps.
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

sandeelfly

Buying a 92" piece of 2x6 channel steel.  Drilling some holes  to mount it and attach the ladder. 
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979

sandeelfly

Solution to Bumper replacement.
2x6 channel steel. $75.
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979

Toedtoes

Can you post a photo of the ends of the bumper (the extra length that your DMV requires)?  I'm curious to see how that works.

Clipper Joe

Hello Sandeelfly,

That Channel Iron Is One Way To The Bumper.
Do You Have A Beefed Up Rear Section To Your Clipper?
You Are Adding More Rear Weight To The Rear, If You Have Steel Reinforcements Should Be Fine, Then You Can Weld A Beefy Hitch.

I Talked Today To Mel Our ACOC Supply Officer, He Said He Has A Bumper Available. You May Want To Contact Him.

Take Care & Happy Camping,
Joe     
ACOC#3749

sandeelfly

A little late.  Job is done and it passed inspection.
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979

Sfine

Necessity is the mother of Invention.!!
Good job! And it will probably hold up to a bang better than the original.
Sometimes a little improvocation can make life a lot easier for us,
A simple solution, glad it worked out for you.
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

sandeelfly

The bad news is that if I ever clip anything it will NOT bend like the old one. ::)
NAVY Veteran
Naval Security Group
1969-1979

Sfine

;)
Just because they're called "Clippers",, doesn't mean you can clip anything!!! Depending on your speed, and what you clip...might just open up a new rear door!!!!      So just don't!! ;D

Is that what happened to the last one?    Drinking!?.... Kidding of course.
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hello Sandeelfly,
Great To Hear You Got Your Project Done On Rear Bumper & Passed Yours States Inspection.

Can You Post A Few Photos, It May Help Others With Same Problem. ;)

I Had A Square Tube Set-up On Old 1973 Tioga Dodge RV, If Someone Parked To Close, They Would Rub Against It, I Agree With Steve, If You Hit Something Now, May Rip Back Of Clipper.
We Just Don't Want To See A Rear Kitchen On Roadway :(
Do Not Under Stand Why You Have To Modify From Orig. Bumper, Unless Your Ends Were Bent Back & Would Not Pass, They Are Repairable @ Bumper Shops, A Few Hundred Bucks & Re-Chromed.

Take Care,
Joe

ACOC#3749