News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Wrapping Fuel Line On 1977 Dodge 440 Clipper

Started by Clipper Joe, June 04, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hi All,

Wanted To Share A Bit Of Info, After The 33rd Gathering Rally @ French Camp In May, My Buddy Steve & I Headed Up To Pardee Res. For Some Fishing. I Had To Stop @ A Friends Place In Jackson, Was Real Hot That Afternoon. While Climbing Hill Out Of Martell, Clipper Was Not Running As It Had Been, Thinking It Maybe Fuel Getting Over Heated, (Vapor Lock) Pulled To Side Of The Road. Temp. Gauge Was Mid Position, But It Was Getting Warmer.
I Noticed That Fuel Line Was Kind Of Close To Manifold. :-[

So When I Got Home The Next Day I Took Off Dog House & Took A Look. When I Re Did Engine, I Install A New Fuel Line & Put Just A Small 6" Rubber Hose On Line, By End By Manifold.

I Figured It Would Be A Lot Of Work To Re-Route Fuel Line, So What I Have Done Is, Used 1" High Temp. Header Wrap On Fuel Line, & Added A Small 2000 Degree Heat Sleeve Over That, Then Used A 3/4" Cut Silicone Heater Hose That Is Used On 18 Wheelers.(Big Rig Trucks), I Put Stainless Steel Tye Wraps To Secure High Temp Hose. Hope This Will Keep The Fuel Line A Little Cooler. The Dog Houses On These Big Blocks Are Always Real Hot.

I Will Wait To Update, After Another Hot Day Outing In Clipper (Wilson). ;)

I Know That Mr. Gasket has A Cool Can That You Use Dry Ice In It & It Is Used On Race Cars. But Going To Try This First.
Here Are A Few  Photos,  Also I Have More Of The Heater Wrap, So If You Need Some, It Will Be In Clipper, Feel Free To Asked, @ Next Rally.

Ps; Note: All My Vacuum Lines & Heater Hoses, Are Also Silicone I Got Them @ Napa Auto, They Work Great, Worth The Investment..

Joe
ACOC# 3749

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

The vapor lock you talked about...does this occur as you are driving?   Recently an inline fuel filter was installed in the engine area....ever since then, after we stop for gas or a short stint,, as we continue to drive again the engine will studder for just a few seconds then be fine. Never happened before the fuel filter. My remedy is to move the filter further back along the supply line, away from the engine heat. Now that that line has been spliced, thought I'd just replace it. What's the best line, steel braided..? Does that conduct heat.?  Or just a high end gas line and insulate as you did?
My mayor energy is going to be focused on how to keep the engine compartment cooler.....and keep it out of the cab. Would dual exhaust disperse some heat better than the stock Set up? I'm even thinking of a small hood scoop to catch and blow fresher air across and thru the engine area.... Something, anything! The heat was great last December in Arizona when temps were in the teens...not so now!
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
Have Not Drove  'Wilson' Since I Have Done Retro Wrap. It Was About 100 Deg. & I Just Climbing Hill Right Out Of Martell, Going To My Buddy's In Jackson After Clipper Rally. Got By Gas Station At Top & It Just Spuddered & Died, Pulled To Side Of Road, opened Hood, Got A Drink From Gas Station, Came Back & Started Up Temp Gauge Was Kind Of Warm, Got Going, Headed Down Grade By Jackson Town, No Problem.
So I Think It Was A Vapor Lock Problem, Don't Like When I Have Any Problems On Road.
Sure Don't Want To Have The Tow Issue That Elizabeth Had To Go Through..  :-[ We Are At The Mercy Of The Big Tow Services Out There When There Is A Problem, We Expect Them To Be Fair...
I Upgraded To AAA Premium Tow Service, But Only Covers $300.00 Payback. So Its Save To Save, Keep Some Cash For Emer. While On The Road, Most Take Cards, But You Never Know.
My Buddy Steve, I Go Rv'en With Is A Cash & Carry Guy. 8)

Getting Back To The Dog House Heat, I Know What You Mean, Mine Has The Same Problem, I Will Try & Take Care Of That, When I Do Cab Area, Going To Change Seats, Carpets, & Put Down Heat Sheets On Floor Area, The Air Dam You Talked About, Is A Good Idea, I Think, Mel The Supply, He Had A Ram Air Induct System On His Chevy Clipper, He Stated It Performed Better.

I'll Let You Know How I Make Out, You Do The Same If You Come Up With Some Fix.
I Think 12VDC Cooling Fans That They Use On Race Cars May Do The Job Also.

Anyone Out There Have In Proved Cab Heating Problem, Let Use Know What You Have Done??

Joe
ACOC# 3749

ACOC#3749

Sfine

I'm all over the 12v dc fan idea. I notice when I shut down,,, my temp flies up, I usually try to cool it down before I turn the key off when the weather is warmer.
I notice that on mine anyway, the transmission cooler is mounted right in front of the radiator, blocking a large area from receiving cooler air and not doing its job to its potential.  I'm going to look into re mounting the tranny cooler below the radiator, but still in target of fresh air. Perhaps find a different grill that has a more open screen pattern than the stock one. I saw another ( not Mel's) vented set up at a rally, it was Floyd's . Made of sheet metal, like a rain gutter downspout, clean.
I want a Hood scoop!
I guess all or any of these ideas and suggestions would help...the more, the more effect.  I have just about bailed out on any hot weather trips, just because the cab heat can be so uncomfortable. Even though the cab air cond. works...it can't keep up with that much heat.  The hi end temp reflectors I've shopped for are pretty ( very) pricey. Do you have any particular product in mind?
Stay cool... 8)
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
I Have A Guy Who Lives Around The Corner From Me, He Bought His Clipper New, Has Over 200,000 Miles, It Is On A Chevy Unit, I Think It Is A 1979. He Has Done A lot, RV Cam, High Rise Manifold, Etc.

He Said He Has A Place In Hayward Were He Got This, 1/4" Heat Shield That He Has Put In Doors & Under Floor In Cab Area, It Dead'n Sound & Takes Away Heat Also, It Is Used On Race Cars, I'll Try & Get The Name For It, He States It Really Works Great, He Said It Use To Be Unbearable Before He Added It. It Is Foiled Backed & Good For 2000 Degrees. I Might Go With This, Also Want To Redo Doghouse, & Add Access Hole For Emergency Fire System, If Possible. :-[

I Have A lot  Of Work Around House Right Now, But Want To Do This Upgrade, When I Do Cab Carpets & Seat Arm Rest Job.. So Much To Do No Time..

Hood Scoop Sounds Like A Good Idea, I'm Going To Check The Front Cooler On Mine Also, My Old 1973 RV I Moved It Down Near Lower Radiator Like You Said.
There Is A Real Nice 1973 Dodge Grille On eBay Now For Sale. Little Pricey, But Great Shape ;)
It Will Bolt Right Up No Problem..

Joe   
ACOC#3749

Sfine

I just ordered the high temp and sound deadening material for the floor of the cab. 2, 24" x48" sheets for $32. On line.   And today got an estimate for a professional carpet installation on floor and dog house. He does the vinyl foot rest and the brights floor switch as well as a pocket or two on the doghouse to hold stuff... $600.  Not the cheapest deal compared to a DYI and I strip out the old, but it will be done only once, and done right.  The last owner did it last time...and it looks like it!
  On another heat deflecting note....I installed a fresh air intake vent that directly hooks up to the air cleaner and brings cooler air into the carb instead of the preheated hot air from under the hood. I have to say, without a numbered temperature gauge I can tell it did wonders by the way my in dash temps were reading.  Today must be near 100degrees, I drove around and watched the needle keep below 1/2 mark even going 55 uphill. Good test.  There is not much room, so one needs to be creative to find space but it can be done....next, the hood scoop for the fresh air intake....racing stripes ?!?!lol
Little by little the cab us becoming bearable on the warmer days.
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
That's Great, Let Me See A Few Photos Of Ducting Pipe, Looked By Radiator Side Can See Much Room.
I'll See Your Rig At Running Deer Also & Swap Tales.
Where Did You Get Floor Heat Shield? Have A Link?

I Need To Do Carpets, Waiting On More Comfortable Arm Rest Seats, Like 94 Caravan Dodge, Cloth Style, Then I Can Do Floor.

I Like The Idea Of Pockets For Dog House ;D

Joe
ACOC#3749

LARRY RAY

You will have to have a good visual image of what I did to stop that exact think. I took a long piece of copper tubing and rolled it a round a can to make it uniform. About 5ft or so. I then bent the ends to where they are accessible. Oh, remove from can. I then took the line form the fuel pump and attached a hose to it and then to the coil of pipe. I attached the other end to the opposite end of the coil and ran it to carb. When all hooked up and no leaks I too three heavy duty plastic ties and secured it to top of frame on right side top just in front of right front tire. Hope this makes sense to you. Too far from her to take and send a pic.  Sorry
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Clipper Joe

Hi Larry,
I'm Seen That Done Also Mr Gasket Sells A Can You Put Ice In It.
You Have It So Air Passes Through To Cool Gas Down, Good Idea,

I Have Not Tried This Fix Yet, But I'm Always Open For New Ideas That Others Have Tried & Is Working For Them, I'm Also Waiting To See How Steve Fine Makes Out On His Cab & Engine Cooling Fix, I Also Have A Warming Problem In Cab Area. :-[

Thanks For Info, Glad To See You
Back., :D

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

I read this comment on another forum and thought it may be something to look into with these fuel issues on the clippers:

We had a Royal Sportsman, the one with all the windows, 3/4 Ton with the 360 & automatic tranny. It was great for towing, about 11 mpg. The only problem these engines have is that the fuel level 'Float' in the carburator will absorb gas when they get old and alter the level causing the engine to flood out when trying to start. Also a fire hazard.

When I call my mechanic to check in on the clipper, I'm going to mention this - worth looking into.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Sfine

The insulation I found for under the carpet in the cab, and the exterior of the doghouse is made by
"COOL IT" thermo tec.  I purchased thermo guard, my carpet installer said I'd need 3.5 -4 yards to do all.  It comes in 24 x 48" sheets. Fairly padded for sound as well as heat.
They make all kinds of heat resistant related products, this will work under the hood of the doghouse as well if needed. 
This, along with wrapping my exhaust , and adding a cool air intake will certainly help.
FYI. I just read that for every 10 degrees that you can lower your intake air temp, you will gain one horsepower....that can add up pretty quickly when you compare the inside air to the fresh out side air temps....gotta be a lot on any given day.
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
That's Great, Let Me Know How You Make Out, Also Did You Get The One With Foil On One Side Or Two Sides?

Also Do You Have The Name Of The Shop Is Going To Do Your Cab Work?

Can You PM Me His Contact Info,
Does Your Clipper Have Headers? If So Do You Know Brand?
Steve Can You Send Me A Few Photos Of You Air Set-Up,
I Looked Under Engine & Im Having A Hard Time On Seeing Where I Can Do That, My Clipper Is A 1977, Should Be Same As Your Newer One, Did You Have To Remove Washer Res.? 

Thanks So Much,
Joe
ACOC#3749

Sfine

Hey Joe!
I haven't had the installation done yet on the heat reflective material, but is has foil on only one side, the other side is like the padding under carpet,sorta .:)
I do not have, but wish I had headers...air is soooo important, coming and going. I'll still wrap the stock exhaust manifold and some of the pipe nearest the cab area.
As far as the cool air intake, mine crosses over the radiator , opposite the resevior. It will eventually connect to the hood vent to direct outside air, you'll see next month! I imagine ours are very similar. I did find out that although we have a 79 Clipper, the motor and chassis is 78 ! Same as our Mastercraft , wouldn't that be a site pulling it with the same year Clipper...ahhh nostalgia.
I'll work on a photo, but no promises,,,sometimes things don't always work as we'd like .
Headed to shop tomorrow for smog . Wish me luck.
Steve
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi All,
Well The Wrap, Did Not Stop The Random Vapor Lock @ Hot Temperature 95-100+Degrees,
So I'm Trying Another Way, Hope It Works :o  I Re-Routed Line To The Front Of Engine, Since Cool Air Comes Forward, I Routed From Fuel Pump, Up Behind Alternator Bracket, Then To Carb. Also, Made Sure Both Fuel Filters Were Changed, Just Incase There May Have Been Plugged. It Runs So Nice In Cooler Condition, Do Not Want 'Wilson To Be A Night Traveler Only. While Driving Back From A Recent Dry Camp Trip With A Fellow Clipper Owner, Had Left Late In Afternoon, Clipper Ran Home Great With Good MPG.

Ill Post The Trip Up Info On A New Post.  :-[  That Another Story, You Will Find Informative.

Joe & Denise     
ACOC#3749