News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

16" Wheels Vs 16.5

Started by Clipper Joe, March 14, 2014, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello All,

Thought I Would Open Up On 16" Tires & Wheels Vs 16.5 Tires & Wheels That Came Stock OEM On Most American Clippers.

The Original Owner On Our Clipper Has Installed 16" Wheels & Tires, The Tire Size Are LT225R75/16 D Rated, The Wheels Are Dodge Coin Type, They Are 6"X16" Dia.

The Rear Dual Wheels Are Stock OEM 16.5 With 8.75 X 16.5 Bias Tires, I Had New Tires Installed About 3 Years Ago. They Are E Rated Dunlop Rover HT, With Less Than 500 Miles On Them. ::)

My Question Is Has Any Clipper Owners Out There Running 16" Tires On Rear Dual Position. & What Size Are They Running??

I Have Done Some Checking & I Want To Install Michelins LT225R75/16 M/S-2 E Rated They Have 2640 Lb. Cap. @ 80 Psi. Each, Also They Come With 70,000 Mile Warranty. :)

For Now I Have Planned To Install 2 New  Michelins LT225R75/16 M/S-2 E Rated  On Front For Now, & Replace Rear In Month Or So.

Will Plan On Selling Rear 4ea. 16.5 After The Change Takes Place, So I Will Let Other Club Members 1st. Chance For Wheels & Tires. The Wheels Are Painted Canvas White, Same As Body Color, Also Thread Is Almost New.. ;)

Will Be Looking For Some Input,

Thanks Again,
Joe & Denise
ACOC# 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Mine are all 16.5 and have been no problem.  I read some threads about problems with the 16.5 rubbing, but mine have never done any such things.

I'd jump for the tires, but I just bought mine last summer, so they'd rot before I needed them.  HOWEVER, if you can't get rid of them as a set, I would take one for a spare (I haven't replaced that yet).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

Thanks For Reply,
I Do Have A Brand New Spare, Has Not Been On The Road, Was Always In Garage, While I Was Getting 'Wilson'Road Ready.
When I Get All The Tires To 16" On, I'll See If You Still Need It.

Thanks Again,
Joe
ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Hello All, ( Where Is Everyone At  :-\) ??

Was Able To Find A Company That Has 16" Dodge Dual Wheels,
They Are Called Coin Style To Fit American Clippers.
They Are In Oklahoma, & Are $115.00 Ea With Free Shipping.
These Are What I Think I Will Go With. :)

Will Keep You Posted, I Will Be Doing Fronts First, Then Make Sure Tire Clearance Are Good.
Then Rear.

I Know I Have Seen A Few Tire Mfg. That Sell E Rated 10 Ply Radials.
I'm Looking For At Least 2600 Lbs, Because of The Weight of  The Clipper.
Looking @ Michelin or General.

Thanks,
Joe
ACOC# 3749

ACOC#3749

Sfine

Hey joe!
If you haven't sold the rear tires that you talked about...DONT! I could use them!
Please let me know if/when you do your exchange...I'd be happy to buy them if you haven't promised them to another party already.   
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve & Lauren,
Flew To Kansas, To Visit My Sons,
Just Got Back From Trip, Still In The Steps On Getting New 16" Wheel Rims Then The New Tires,
Planning on Getting Michelin LTX M/S2 10 Ply,
I Have 16" On Front, But Want To Change Them All Big $$

Right Now, Plate Full, Have To Add A Room For Mother In Law, Moved Up From So. Ca. Getting House Ready For Inside/Outside Paint Etc.

I Still Want To Make Northern Calif. Trip In Sept. Little Grass., Take Fishing Boat, I Will Need Some
R & R After That Work. Hope You Can Make It, My Friend Said He Needs A Week Of Fishing Also. ;)

I Will Try & Make Next Rally Up Your Way.
Looking Forward On Meeting You Both.

You Can Look At Tires On Clipper Then.

Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749
ACOC#3749

Panel Pete

Hey Joe,

Just noticed your post inquiring about 16" rear duals, I run 16's all around on my rig. The fronts are 215/75 LT 16 and the rear are 235/85 LT 16, the reason for the different sizing in all 6 tires and wheels came my way for free.

A good friend was scrapping his 1985 dodge dually that had been rear-ended while his sister was driving it and he had recently replaced the full set of tires with the larger 235/85 - 16 size. My rig still had the original 16.5 rims with old dry cracked tires, so the swap was done before his old dually went to the scrapper.

The larger tire size fits great in the rear but didn't work well up front (the tires rubbed while turning), so I started looking for a pair of smaller tires for the front. Another friend of mine (actually the fella that I traded for the Clipper) had 3 new 215/75-16's that were too small for his dually truck, he runs the larger 235/85-16's and needed a pair for the front so a trade was made in my favor - three tires for me and two tires for him. I took care of the mounting and balancing of all 5 tires and we both left happy!

So far I've taken the family out camping twice this year for a total of 8 trips since I put the old girl back on the road, and the tire sizes have worked great - no rubbing or damage of any kind.   
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

Clipper Joe

Hi Pete,
Thats Good To Know, Do You Have Air Bags On Rear Of Your Clipper? Its A 1977 Dodge Like Mine Huh?

I Was Planning On Going With Michelin LTX LT225/75R16/ E M&S2, I Think Larry Who Has A Newer MotorHome Runs Them On His. I Have 16"Rims On Front  They Are Bias Tires, Not Radial  I Don't Know The Age, Have To Look Up DOT Date Code.

The Rears Are Really Newer Dunlop 8.75/16.5  & Spare Is Same 16.5 Never Been On Road, So I'll Sell Them, I Have A Few Takers When I Change To 16". ;)

I Think With Larger Rear Tires, Should Have A lot More Load Cap. With 235/85R16 E 10 PLY = 3,636 Lbs. (LCC) Load Carrying Capacity. @80PSI. Each.
I Know The 225/75R16  E 10 Ply Is 2700 Lbs (LCC)  @80PSI, Each.   

After Doing Some Checking May Use The Larger Tires In Rear & Spare To Be For Front LT 225/75R16 E 10 Ply.

Hope To Be Able To See Your Rig, @ One Of The ACOC Rally's, They Are Having One In October. Going To Be In San Andreas, No. Calif.

Thanks For Fast Reply,
Joe

ACOC#3749