News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Dump Valves Gone Bad

Started by Toedtoes, January 02, 2014, 02:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Well, the gaskets in my valves have gone bad, so I have to replace them.  Since I have to do this in order to have my plumbing functional, I've decided to re-work the set up.

Caninecaravan mentioned a valve set up where both valves are at the edge (so no having to crawl underneath to dump).  I'm going to do that, but I'm going to take it one step further.  I'm going to attempt to add a second dump hookup for the grey tank only.  This way, when I have used the sinks only, I can dump the grey tank into the garden, etc. without having to do the entire dump process or have icky residue from the pipes getting dumped into the garden.  But, I will have the standard setup so the grey tank can rinse out the pipes after emptying the black tank when needed.

My thought is that I will have a valve leading to a drain installed before the main valve leading to the combo drain.  That will keep the grey water drain sanitary while letting the grey tank release into the main drain.

I have to talk to my RV guy and work out the specs, but I'll post the results once (if) it is done.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes,

The Link On Web Site Dupree  Has The Valves Arms & Seals, You Just Take Top Screws Off Valve & Pull Unit Out. Very Easy.
They Sell Seals 3" Also, I Have A Spare Set As Back Up.

CannineCaravan, Had His Pipes All Cut I Think, Has To Cost A Few $$$$$.

I Can Send You A Photo Of The Handle & Seal Unit I You Need It?

Are You Going To National Rally In Feb?   Hope I Don't Rain Then?

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Thanks Clipper Joe.  Since I have to do excessive work to get the gasket out of the pipe, I'm going to change things up to make it easier for me to dump.  Might as well do it now while it needs repairing.

caninecaravan

I checked and after the $75 for the new valve set up from the club, my installer guy charged me $50 to pull the tank, put on the new valves and install it back. After having crawled under the rig a number of times to dump the tanks, this was a great investment. Also it was starting to fall down when we were in Idaho and a machine shop put a metal band around the pipes and attached it to the undercarriage. Rig will fall apart before the tank comes off. 
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Toedtoes

Thanks for the cost info.  I'll call and get an estimate from my guy - if he's way out there, I may ask for your guy's info (I'll try to call tomorrow).

Toedtoes

Here is a photo of what I ended up having done.  My RV guy cut everything off close to the grey and black water tanks, then ran new pipe from both so that the valves are both at the edge of clipper.  He used the new style Valterra valves (I told him to go with the easiest ones for me to work).

Clipper Joe

Hi Elizabeth,

Looks Good, Should Make It A lot Easier to Dump,
It Was Hard To See 3" Lines, On IPhone Need to See In Person,
I'm going to Next Rally For Sure.
Looking Forward To Meeting All Clipper Owners New & Old.
Hope to Meet You & Steve Fine.

Have Not Done Much With Clipper( Wilson ) Since I Put RV Cover On.
We Are Going To Have I Hope Needed Rain Next a Week, Will Uncover & Check Inside Clipper After The Big Storm.
I have All Roof Vents & Covers Sealed Real Well, Not Be A Problem but Like To Check After A Big Down Pour, Be Safe Then Sorry.

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

The photo isn't showing a lot of the underneath.  It's hard to get under and get a photo in the driveway (there's a brick house on one side and a wood fence on the other and the width is about 4 ft wider than the clipper.  Once I get it out, I'll get a better photo.

I plan on taking it out for a camping trip in March to start off the season.  We'll see how everything works then.