News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

RV Back Lights

Started by pilotdiana, January 09, 2012, 10:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilotdiana

Does anyone know if we can still buy the lights for the back of the RV.  The lights are about 16 - 18 long.

bulldog 1995

I needed to replace the lights on mine as well. I went to several RV shops and was to;d the same thing at all of them "no longer made and all back stock is gone" I bought a set of modern lights that are about the same size and am currently installing them cost me $80 for both tail lights.
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

John Eversoll

Hey there Buckaroooooos,

I have seen a few of the over rated houses on wheeels with the same style of rear lights

as we have on ours...  Check out the Local wrecking yards they should have what you are looking for..

pilotdiana

From me again.  I thought these lights were listed on the order form.  Does anyone have an email address for the guy that handles our ordering.  I am at work an don't have the list with me.  Shoooooooot!

Hank Jourdin

Hey Pilotdiana,    Save yourself a lot of money!!  If the light housings are still good just remove them from the coach, making sure to tag each wire so you know which is brake light, left turn signal, right turn signal, tail lights, & backup lights.  Then go to your local parts store and buy new light sockets with blubs, 1157's.  Rip out the old light blub holders and pop rivet in the new sockets. Wire them up accordingly as you tagged the wires when you removed them. Tail lights, turn  signals , brake lights, ect. Solider all connection, make sure you ground all  sockets . I did mine and it worked very fine.  Takes 3 sockets and 3 1157 blubs per side at aproxamatly 3.00 ea.  Total  about 20.00 and 2 or 3 hours time!  Need any help just yell!!!   Hank Out!

pilotdiana

Thanks Hank.  I will print out your comments and take them into my RV repair shop.  I did find my latest newsletter and also found a phone number for Mel who handles our American Clipper supplies.  I think I will call him in the morning and see if he has got those lights otherwise we shall proceed with your instructions.  Thanks everyone.  RDNEKNIT (her license plate) is getting all beautiful for the spring and summer.  Can't tell ya how many people stop me and want to know if I want to sell her.

Sfisher

I'm facing the same issue, but see the lights in a different light.  On my, "Well Patched,"  coach, there are indead 3 1157 bulbs on each side.  However, only the outboard light has a double contact for the 1157 bulb.  The other two on each side, have single contacts.  However, the Previous owner has installed 1157s in that spot, even though they don't seem to line up well.

Why would we have double contact bulbs in single contact sockets.  To take the next step, I tried to install 1156 bulbs, and they won't lock into place as the little teats on each side won't begin to match the needed position.

Please explain this mystery ?

John Eversoll

How dee doo Clipper Buds, YOU Too Dan"  LOL,

I saw a newer Rv the other day that had the same style lights on back "BUT they were  L E D ....

Kinda neat"!!!  Don't know where they came from but might be worth checking out...

Panel Pete

Howdy all, thought that I'd post my findings on this topic.

I came across a direct replacement for our factory style rear tail light assemblies, they are made by Grote Industries. The manufacturers part number is 51342-5 and are identical to the factory installed Monarch brand tail lights! You can check them out the manufacturers site here:  http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=51342-5&x=10&y=14  or at the retailer I found them through here: http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12424&SID=49&DID=79&CID=190&BID= . I hope this helps some one out down the road.

Pete
440 powered 77' Clipper, model 821FC

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool.......

kenmel

Great find Panel Pete! mine are in pretty good shape but are a really dark cream where as the rest of the coach is much whiter lol. Now I know where to find a set. Thanks  ;D

Toedtoes

Great!  Thanks so much!  Mine seem to be doing well, but when some extra money comes along, I may just pick up a couple "just in case".  Hate to be out on the road and have your brake lights die (or someone smash them) and not have a back-up.

Hoping to replace the running lights next - most are corroded at the connections and don't work, some have extremely weakened connections.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

caninecaravan

You can also but the lights through national for $35.00. Something to think about and keeps the National going. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552