News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Tires

Started by Adrian, February 22, 2003, 08:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian

Ok it is time to change from bias ply to radials.
I have a few questions.
1. When replacing the tires did anyone switch from the stock 16.5 to 16 inch rims?
2. What brand and size tire did people use?
3. How much did you pay?

Thanks
Adrian

Richard Peterson

When I put tires on my 21, I chose Michelins.  The size was 8.75x16.5.  This seems to be a good choice as we have had no problems and have had them for over a year.  I heard someone say they thought that 16.5" tires were not going to be made anymore, but I don't think that is true.  I guess if it were, we'd have to drop to a 16" wheel, but I see no reason to do so if tires are going to be available.  I bought mine at Costco and paid just under $1000 for 6 including tax.  
Richard Peterson

Horst

I looked at Michelins - very nice - too pricey for me. I went with a Firestone (not the exploding version! - these were/are made at a different facility) 18.75x16.5.
Also heard "rumors" that this size is becomming extinct - but my guy says not for a long time. We (Clippers) need the 18.75x16.5 for load bearing - many of the 18x16 have marginal load bearing capabilities, and have resulted in blow-outs. I paid $90/tire. The other thing to note in my case - I'm not too concerned about  the tread wear rating, as I only drive my Clipper about 5,000 miles/year. And since I plan to replace my tires every 5 years regardless of mileage, tread rating isn't that important, since I'll only have 25,000 miles on them anyway!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

junebob

Adrian #183-TIRES- I doubt that there are any shortages of 16.5X 8.25 or 16.5X 8.75  tires pending in the forceable future. What are scarce, and practically ireplacable, are the 16,5 wheels our Clippers all came out with,[At least new ones.]Good, true, safe used 16.5 wheels have also mostly dissapeared.On the other hand new 16 inch wheels that fit our clipper bolt pattern are available most everywhere, Steel, Chrome, cast aluminum, What ever you are willing to pay for. The 16inch wheels have as much load carrying capacity as the old 16.5 wheels.There seems to be a general misunderstanding about that.What is important to know is that the origonal 16.5 X 8.25 tires that the Clipper came out with are at best marginal to carry the weight long term, especially on the rear axle.Resulting in a long history of blow out problems for our rigs.An 8.75 truck rated radial tire replacement, totaly alevietes this problem .It does not matter about the wheel size[ 16.00 or 16.50 ].Its the tires weight carrying capacity that matters. There are definite advantages in switching to 16 inch wheels and no drawbacks, except of course the cost of buying seven new wheels. This modification allows you to install 16 x 8.75 tires all around with out experiencing any tire clearance  problems. On the other hand installing the larger 16.5 X8.75 tires on your stock wheels can and quite often does result in tire rubbing on larger bumps and sharp banked curves.Resulting in fibre glass and tire damage. This condition is prevalent on the front wheels.The rear wheels are not a problem unless your Clipper has seriosly sacked rear springs. Bad Air bags could conceivably cause problems also.Clippers with new,or near new height and strength in their front coil springs can handle the 16.5 X 8.75 tires with no problems. In our Clipper the front springs were a little sacked, just enough to cause tire to body contact on severe bumps or potholes at road speed.So I elected to leave the 16.5 X8.25 inch tires on the front and installed 16.5 X 8.75 tires on the rear. NOTE! This is not a potentual problem because thr smaller 8.25 tires on the front Have more than enough weight carrying capacity to handle any possable axle weight you could get on the front with the 440 engine up there. Hope this helps, Bob Chaney

Adrian

Thanks for all your responses.
It looks like I'm going with a BF Goodrich commercial T/A 8.75 x 16.5. I can't find anyone who is selling an 8.25 or an 8.5 tire. CostCo has them for about 101.00 mounted. Hopefully I won't have a rubbing problem in the front.

USNRetired

Adrian, are you still in the club?  Email me if so, I'd like to get some information, if you don't mind.

Jim
Oceanside, CA
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)