News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Front Coil springs

Started by John Eversoll, February 13, 2010, 02:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

hey Clock or Horst or even Dan

Would you guys have an idea "why the front left coil has broken "Twice"

I have not replaced it yet. But would like to find out why this happened.

The first one broke and I had them both replaced.

and the last time we were in Northern Caif. I hir a dip in the road and

had that Very hard hit on the drivers side.  got out and looked at abroken coil""

What would cause this to happen?????  I am confused.

thanks guys!!! ??? :)

Horst

No idea really - but some possibilities include....

1) bad "new"  coil (where did you get it? - Stengel bothers?)
2) over loaded rig
3) improperly installed coil, or, the wrong coil (not heavy duty enough)
4) totally dead shocks which are not doing their job in helping the absorption?? (just guessing here)

Back to my pet peeve again - but - the  Clippers came out of the factory over-loaded (in my opinion) - once you added 40gal fuel,  40 gal water, toys, people, beer, etc to the rig - it's really freaking heavy, and the stock suspension simply is taxed, and the only way to counteract this is to:
1) Beef us the suspension with after-market add-ons, and beefier parts, etc.
and, or
2) Drive slow
that's why I drive slow...saves me a lot of money too
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Hey there Bro,

Not trying to be stupid....  But I do a Damn good job at it>...

What kind of Mega parts are we talking about. 

I put all the replacement stock arms and bushings in when I rebuilt it.

I just can't figure out what they could be...

A Buddy of mine told me to ry "air shocks Up front" ????

Jon

Horst

Super heavy duty shocks for the front
Coil spring "helpers" (different companies make them - just google)
steering stabilizers (not really for load bearing - but helps in overall handling)

there was another mod that I'm forgetting - but I'll remember later

I have the same problem - my left front is the "weak link" in my suspension- I need to be careful and I'm always looking at the road, and watching the vehicles in front of me to see if they "dip" - if I see them dip, I'm already slowing down some...

when I do my upgrade - I'm doing Stengel Brothers coils and I'llask them if any of their helpers will work on my clipper
http://www.stengelbros.com/HeavyDutyHelperKits.htm

good luck
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Horst

I remember the other mod - these things called coil spring "helpers" or "stabilizers"
a few different kinds - I do not know personally if they work - but have heard from others they can help, especially if your springs are bit tired (like mine)

I'm seriously considering these, or some others like it
http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/product.jcw?nval=0&statenval=1101011305+200005529+1975&productId=2023252&shopid=100001&pageid=12&_requestid=11106424

sorry about the long link
there is another similar product out there (try to fingf the link later), including one that bolts on that I would stay away from
there are also real expensive set-ups - but not sure they make them for us
Horst
ACOC  #2961

John Eversoll

Thanks Bro,

I guess I will just wait to hear how yours does.   O will just wait to see what you get and I will get the same thing..

I guess the air shock idea a was a a a little cheesey huh...

I am glad I as you guys the questions insted of my friends..

Oh Yea, Got the Chevelle running today.  :) :) 8) 8)

Scared the crap out of me!!!!  I for got the motor is 500 hp....

Until I turned it over.....

A real" gas eater" :) :) :) :) :) :)

God I love it,  Now for a paint job!!!!!

New motor new trans 4spd munci and the rear end... 

Just have the Rig to do now..

John

Horst

air shocks are not a cheesy idea
you need shocks in addition to the coil springs as you know
there are some really good heavy duty air/gas shocks out there that would make a good compliment to a pair of heavy duty coil springs
Horst
ACOC  #2961

retrorob

MOOG heavy duty coil springs, part# 7226S from rockauto.com. $130.00 a pair. If possible, always buy MOOG suspention parts. They are the best of the best.

Rob