News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Power Center, Generator, Converter/Charger Help ?

Started by dboling, October 24, 2009, 01:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

I hate it when new parts are bad! If you need anything I can run over to P.D's. service department for you.
JerryT

dboling

Quote from: JerryT on November 01, 2009, 05:27:33 PM
I hate it when new parts are bad! If you need anything I can run over to P.D's. service department for you.
JerryT

I Hate it too. I got the replacement converter so there's not a need to run over to P.D.s Service, but thanks for offering. :)

The new replacement converter/charger is installed and is working great.

Before the converter was delivered I decided to prepare a bit and get the area I was going to mount it in reworked. I removed the new main battery and took it home. I figured it would be a better battery for my Bayliner as the battery was a walmart 24DP-4 (Dual Purpose) battery and wasn't built to last as a coach battery. I bought 2 24DC-6 (Deep Cycle )marine batteries at walmart for a total of 150ah and 200 reserve minutes. The clipper was only setup to accept 1 house battery and I needed to do some modifications to get two batteries and the New converter installed correctly. The first battery went into the origanal battery compartment so it was a snap to install, The plan for the second battery and converter was to install it in the generator compartment. my generator compartment with generator installed gives me about 12 - 13 inches to play with where the old converter was installed, there is a foam dampening panel between the generater and where the old converter was. I could have just laid the converter where the old converter was, set the 2nd battery in front of the converter and called it done, but that's not how I like to do things. To make it short, I built a platform that the second battery sits under and the converter is mounted on top of the platform. Now instead of the clipper being able to hold 1 or 2 group 24 marine batteries, it will hold 3 and possability 4 batteries.

prophetdaniel2

Way to do it right the first time!
How specifically did you go about wiring in the second battery?
-D

JerryT

Sounds like you are amped up pretty good :D A must for prolonged dry camping. Are you sunny enough for a solar add on?
JerryT

dboling

Quote from: JerryT on November 15, 2009, 07:25:05 AM
Sounds like you are amped up pretty good :D A must for prolonged dry camping. Are you sunny enough for a solar add on?
JerryT

Amped up enough for now, 150ah has been doing pretty well and haven't really ran down the batteries enough to need  charging, However when running the microwave the batteries get charged for 1/2 hour or so.

I might be able to use solar where I have the clipper parked now.

Here's some picts of the power plant. 

dboling

More Power Plant Picts.

Horst

Looks awesome - and I know you already did this by the looks of the chain set-up - but be sure to check the compartment (this goes for others of you out there as well) to be sure it's "solid" as far as weight bearing capability. Some of them were built a bit weak in my opinion, especially if you're inserting a generator, and multiple batteries, etc. Add 30 years and some dry rot and you can have an issue real quick.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Hey there Horst, I have  question for ya.. No Big deal really...

Have you ever ad a problem with the wood box coming apart from it's foundation over the generator box??

that is what I call it  Even though I don't ave  gen.   Then the rear sink counter has seperated..
Have  clue???
Should I worrie or just tighen everything up and leave it ....  John

Horst

Not sure I understand the question.
You mean the box frame above the passenger's side storage compartment?
Or do you mean the box frame that IS the storage compartment?

The one above the compartment (in my case) is the frame that hold my gaucho couch - no problems  there - and if there was, it wold be an easy fix.

I did have an issue with the entire storage compartment box - had to reinforce everything - a little tricky - but got it done.
I actually carry a lot of heavy stuff in there (battery, converter, tools, oil, other fluids, spare parts, etc,)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

LARRY RAY

Here are a few pics of what I did to increase battery power and to keep everything charged in the process. I hope I don't leave anything out. I have a chart that tells me what each switch does, but will try to go through all of them by memory. The switches (and in no certain order do the following)   1. ties very large industrial truck battery to main battery in case you might need a boost, and will charge battery while driving. 2. ties seat battery to coach battery for reserve power. 3. 4, and 5  charges each individually or all together from charger under the seat which is on a timer and comes on when plugged to shore power. This saves having to use convertor so much. 6. ties seat battery to clipper battery to charge while driving. Switches are some I picked up from electric supply. They are good for 200amp on 12v. If you didn't notice the seat is hinged for easy access from the top. What I did was to use #4 stranded copper, drill hole thru the floor, then run wires thru water hose and tie to frame. For connections to main clipper battery I tied directly to solenoid at the starter. Hope this will help some one somehere.

ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

LARRY RAY

Quote from: LARRY RAY on November 22, 2009, 12:39:31 PM
Here are a few pics of what I did to increase battery power and to keep everything charged in the process. I hope I don't leave anything out. I have a chart that tells me what each switch does, but will try to go through all of them by memory. The switches (and in no certain order do the following)   1. ties very large industrial truck battery to main battery in case you might need a boost, and will charge battery while driving. 2. ties seat battery to coach battery for reserve power. 3. 4, and 5  charges each individually or all together from charger under the seat which is on a timer and comes on when plugged to shore power. This saves having to use convertor so much. 6. ties seat battery to clipper battery to charge while driving. Switches are some I picked up from electric supply. They are good for 200amp on 12v. If you didn't notice the seat is hinged for easy access from the top. What I did was to use #4 stranded copper, drill hole thru the floor, then run wires thru water hose and tie to frame. For connections to main clipper battery I tied directly to solenoid at the starter. Hope this will help some one somehere.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Casti891

See if i can revive an old post haha, having trouble removing the old converter from a 76' rear kitchen. I removed the covers for the power control center and cant seem to find an efficient way to go about it other than disconnecting all the wires. Im really new to working with wiring and electrical so its kind of intimidating. Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!