News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Fan Belts

Started by Plante, August 12, 2003, 01:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plante

We had the power steering belts break while on the freeway this weekend.  It proceeded to take out the water pump belts and removed one of the alternator belts also.  We were lucky to be next to an exit and service was available.  So - just a reminder to check the condition and tension of your fan belts - it could save a big headache.

junebob

Gerry & Donna.
Power steering belts. Did you have both power steering belts break?    , or do you have the single power steering pulley?Bob Chaney

Plante

The power steering has a double pulley but I honestly don't know if there were 2 belts on it.  I replaced 4 belts - one for the power steering, two for the water pump, and one for the alternator - I still had one good one for the alternator.  NAPA lists a single belt for the power steering so getting a matched pair isn't possible, but I'm going to try to get a second one to fit snugly.

handyman

Gerry if your power steering pump has a double pulley thats great someone changed it already Im no sure but the belts should be the same I havent seen one yet to really tell you but if not heres a old mech trick take a peace of streng go around all the pulleys then pull them tight togather then take it to napa and they can get one that fits  

junebob

Gerry- Belts.The dual pulley takes the same belts as the single pulley.Any two new ones [same brand ] will work....Some brands,- GATES-  for one if  remember correctly have optional matched prepackaged sets available.    Bob Chaney

Plante

100 years ago or so when I was a teenager working at my dad's gas station we sold Gates belts.  Some were sold as matched sets for double pulley applications.  These were EXACTLY the same length.  Non-matched sets - even though the same number - could be as much as an inch different in length.  The longer one would flop around on the pulley.  Maybe the belt makers are doing a much better job now, I haven't had to change a belt for the last 20 years until last weekend.  By the way Bob,  my CB was not working properly because of a split antenna.  While sitting still it worked fine, but going down the road the CB didn't work.

byeager

Make sure you have two belts driving the water pump or you will have premature and sudden destruction of the power steering belt.  15 years of past experience!!!