News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

CB Radio Antenna Installation

Started by Guinnessecco, August 25, 2003, 11:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinnessecco

Anyone have an idea on the best routing for the antenna cabling, and mounting location?

ksman

Guinnessecco; I have a 1978 clipper an I mounted my duel antenna`s on the mirror brackets, ran the cable along the braces an in-between the door an the body, then in behind the dash, hope this helps.

HPotter

When mounting a vehicular CB atenna, the first thing to remember is to mount it on as large an area of metal possible. These antennas depend on the vehicle body to act as a "ground plane" for the antenna. For compact whips up to 4 feet in length, one way that works well is to bend up an "L" bracket with the bend on a diagonal and mount it with a couple of sheet metal screws so that it sticks up in the slot at the driver's side end of the engine hood and bends away from the hood, forming a level surface to mount the antenna. The cable is routed through the gap at the end of the hood. Use some pretty stiff metal to make the bracket to minimize flexing.Harold, #886

Conrad

When mine was on the mirror bracket it would slap against the upper part of my clipper depending on wind direction.  A tennis ball helped but I eventually found a Stainless Steel bracket that fits in the space between the hood and the front quarter panel.  The antenna is about 15 deg off of vertical but works fine for me and no slapping.  The coax fits between the door gap, the weatherstipping doesn't pinch it.

Plante

My CB is installed on the wall behind the drivers seat.  The antenna is on the coach above and behind the drivers door with a hole drilled through the cab behind the drivers door for the cable(with a grommet for sealing).  I had to replace the antenna recently and got one from Camping World made especially for fiberglass units with grounding problems.  Seems to work fine.