News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

How Heavy is Heavy

Started by Sfisher, September 23, 2011, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfisher

New to us 1977 Rear Bath, with a 440.  This Clipper was given to us by a close friend.  Used once in the last 10 years, but not abused during its busy years. 
We had to take it as is with all the old traveling gear, packaged food, tools, pots and pans and towels etc.  We removed everything that was not
part of the vehicle .

The data plate shows a 9,000 pound GVW.
  I drove it to the scales at the local Landfill and asked to be weighed.   With 10 gallons of gas and me aboard, I was given a weight of 8,900 pounds.  Wow !  The previous owner used to travel with family, gear and a small pickup being towed. 

I'm puzzled !  I've seen other Clippers with a 10,000 pound GVW.  How could these be sold with essentially no allowance for a load of people and gear.  Even at 10,000 pounds, I'd consider the allowance for load to be minimal.
What have others found ?
Steve in San Jose

Rodney

My 78 clipper with 440 dodge same deal
check to see that the air bags are installed and in good condition.
good tires and check the suspension from one end to the other.

I don't have an answer why? ??? :o

bulldog 1995

the answer is actually quite simple. If you take off the house all you are left with is a 1-ton truck frame and suspension with a cutaway van over the front. In the '70's 9-10,000 lbs GVW was more then a 1-ton truck would ever be expected to carry.

Given the fact that the frames on these RVs were never extended to the rear of the house, apart from the airbags, I doubt that the suspensions and brakes were upgraded for the added weight of the house thereby leaving the gvw at 9-10,000lbs and making them handle and stop like crap as they are so close to their GVW bare.  

That being said these RVs can carry a reasonable load from the factory at 55mph. However, with a little work and some parts these rigs can be made to carry a trailer and a reasonable load safely at freeway speeds.

For mine I am planning to put a newer stronger master cylinder and brake booster with larger lines front to rear, larger disk brakes on all 4 corners with 3 or 4 piston calipers plus add a brake to the driveline, larger and wider rims to reduce the sidewall and increase the foot print of the tires, larger swaybar on the front plus add 1 to the rear, stronger springs front and rear, reinforce the rear hitch and bumper to be able to carry a enclosed carhauler with my 5000lb '66 Ford Econoline inside, electric trailer brakes, large heavy duty trans cooler and oil cooler, box critical areas of the frame for more strength, larger fuel tank for longer range.

After I do some more research to find out what the rear axle's max load is I may replace it with a newer more robust rear axle along with the front spindles to match. A Cummins Diesel / 5 speed manual trans might be also in the future for this clipper as well.

Along with a few other mods to make it more user friendly for today's RVing without disturbing the nature of the original RV.

When I am done my Clipper will handle well, stop very well and be able to tow a trailer safely at 60+mph and on a budget of $8-10,000 max investment I will have a (basically) new motorhome.
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

Rodney

Thanks for the explanation Bulldog

I've already been doing some of what you've listed
new master cylinder and booster said to be upgraded
new rear axle complete 3.70 from 4.10's
new rims and tires, wider can't go to much without contact with the coach, on the rear had to install a spacer on the right side to clear.
Belstein Shock on all 4 corners {huge difference}
having it aligned by a knowledgeable tech, I visited with him and gave gave him the specs of the previous alignment and said it was close but not close enough for the Clipper.
it's tricky business getting the brakes to work correctly on the Clipper.
changing to larger ID lines will drop the line pressure won't it? what is the theory you have behind larger ID lines?

keep us posted on your upgrades :)

bulldog 1995

the reason for the larger then factory lines is to supply enough fluid for the 3 or 4 piston calipers to function properly. in order to maintain pressure at the right levals the master has to be set up for the larger lines. as for the clearance issues you mentioned I am planing to rework the wheel wells to give me the needed room and am planning to rework the wheel openings to make any extra needed room with flares, as I am trying to widen the stance of the RV for better handleing. I might even lower it an inch or two to help with the top heavyness of the house

Sfisher

Bulldog,
Good response.  Makes sense.  I had always heard of RVs that had little load capacity, just figured that the famous American Clipper would not be one of them.

Please keep us posted on your progress on the brakes and suspension

Steve

Rodney

I rolled my 78 clipper over the scales this afternoon {hoping it lost some weight}
9150lbs total with me 240lbs ya I need to loose 50 lbs :-[
aprox. 3000lb front 6000 rear
1/2 tank of fuel and 1/2 h2o with holding tanks empty.

bulldog 1995

yes, Irv Perch was a great designer and put alot of quality into his products but, from what I've seen, wasn't a very good engineer. If he had been then items like the frame stopping short  and the rear bumper and hitch being little more then decorations wouldn't exist.