News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Gas Tank Size

Started by Medreamer, August 27, 2011, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medreamer

Does anyone know the standard gas tank size in a '77? I have no manuals and think it's a 36 gal.

LARRY RAY

If not mistaken, if it is plastic---36 gal   l shaped metal---50 gal. Mine has a 50 gallon and if yourd is the same you will not get a true reading because they used the 36 gal sening unit and installed it in the fabricated 50 gal. about empty you will still have about 20 gal in tank. I however never take the chance and top off the tank at 1/4. I also use a navman usage sensor made for boats that registers the amount of gas used, pricey but works great.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

John Eversoll

Hi Larry,  I don't know about the fuel tank situation.....

I know that mine is around 26 to 28.......  and that is filling it from bone dry

Yes, mine is black plastic.......

Anothe issue in saftey, is the inside duels !!!   if one blows it could puncture that plastic....

Think I will look for a saftey shield to cover the tank.....

Take care, John  :)

USNRetired

Okay, here goes another question.  Replacing the gas tank.  I have let mine run down as far as I was comfortable and believe I have the 36 gallon tank.  I've been underneath and it is the plastic tank.  I have heard that these do not have an indefinate lifespan.  Is that true?  Do I need to seriously consider replacing my 34 going on 35 year old gas tank?  If I find a 50 gallon metal tank (if?), am I better off having a trained professional install it, or is this something that someone with common sense and a few tools can accomplish?  Is there such an animal as a 50 gallon sending unit?  Any idea what doing something like this would cost? 

I do like the idea of having the increased range an additional 14 gallons would give me, but really, is it worth going to the expense and trouble of pulling the existing tank, buying a new tank & sending unit, installing the new tank and then figuring out what to do with the 36 gallon tank here in Southern California the home of the Eco Terrorists?  There are actually people here who think Al Gore did invent the internet and walks on water when it comes to our ecology.
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

How doo dee doo~~  neighbor clipper~~~

I myself have had the basic same problem.....   I can not find a sending unit that fits the hole the

the sending unit sits on......  I will probably Keep my tank, I have had it checked out and it is in good shape...Don't know why but I am Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth"

Take care, John

caninecaravan

I had my tank replaced with a 46 gallon metal tank because my plastic tank on the 78 was leaking. Couldn't get a sending unit that would work like the old one, so we put the 36 gal sending unit back in. Means when the tank reads empty, I still have 10 gallons left. I figure I can get 322 miles at 7 miles per gallon on the tank. When I get over 250-300 I start looking for a gas station to fill up.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

bulldog 1995

for the sending unit did you try a marine store? all you need to do is measure the hight of the tank and the dia of the sending unit hole then with those numbers they should be able to locate a unit that will work for your tank
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

USNRetired

Seems like the Marine stores have quite a few things that we can use on the Clippers.  I still need to make a run and pick up some stuff to do a little touch up on dings and chips in my fiberglass... I've been told to hit the Marine store for everything I need.  Will check out prices on gas tank sending units there too.
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, I know that you are probably in the  rack now so I will just say

Hi and that I have never thought of going to a "marine" store.... just the sound makes me shudder

Let's use water craft store"  Remember the Coast Guard Motto,    YOU SINK EM WE SAVE EM"

Always ready....""  John

USNRetired

Wellllll I do live right next to a huge Marine Base, you know.... ;D
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll