News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Interior Roof Panels

Started by Shayne, November 10, 2001, 08:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

Posted for Jerry Karnes by Admin
10/10/01
Has anyone replaced the panels in the roof on the inside. If so, what did you use, and how do the panels come out? My is water damaged.Since I never get to come to the Clipper rallies because I'm here on the east coast, is it possible to get a copy of the video's that shows how the clippers are put together?
Jerry Karnes, ACOC#2984
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

egibbons

I replaced the rearmost ceiling section with standard door skin. I think it is 1/8" thick and can be found at most lumberyards. The hard part is replacing the panel because the ceiling is installed before the side walls, cabinets, shower, etc. I carefully cut out the panel, creating a new "seam" at the entrance door to the restroom. Then I undercut the remaining panel material under the cabinets, sidewalls, etc, so once the new one was installed, it would tuck under and be held in place. Next, I reinforced the 2 X 2 roof "joists, as some were partially rotted. I used what was left of the removed ceiling panel as a template to cut the new one. After priming and painting with gloss white, I bowed the panel into place,which was nearly impossible. Then I trimmed the new seam at the restroom with lenghts of aluminum strips (made for concealing linoleum junctions at doorways). Finally, I used some very small quarter round in areas where the fit wasn't perfect. I'm glad that project is over. The moral of the story is to keep you ceiling vents sealed well to keep water out so the panel doesn't deteriorate! Good Luck!