News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

16.5 tires

Started by Jim Tucker, August 08, 2010, 08:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Tucker

I found "Wildcat H/T 8.75RX16.5 LT, Load Range D, Duplex" tires at Les Schwab in Bremerton WA at 162.00 each in August of 2010. They are made by Dean Tire and Rubber Co. and are current mfg.(2310) Salesman tells me these tires should be filled to the stated cold max, or 60psi.

John Eversoll

Feautura tires at Pep Boys for $ 82.77 each  4 ply  16.5

I have had very good luck with them.

John

drwfc7

I just got off the phone with local Pep Boys store and I was told that they do not carry any 16.5 tires whatsoever.So far the only source seems to be Les Schwab.      Bob

John Eversoll

Hi Bob, I am going over to the PEP Boys by my home tomorrow and will check and see.

Maybe the store that is close to you doesn't carry them .... Anyway I will give you a hollar

Tomorrow night....   :) John

Horst

These are what I have been running for 11+ years (getting my third set soon)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=8.75&ratio=0&diameter=16.5&x=54&y=7

no issues - good tire
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Hey there, I went over to my Pep Boys today---  They still have the

16.5 at the store I go to in Anaheim....   They are a good tire

I have had no problems with them..  John

drwfc7

Thanks guys for the info,but the tire rack info is for a 8.75r16.5 which is a much bigger tire.My tires presently on the coach are 800r16.5.will 8.75 fit?how about the overall gearing difference with a larger tire?speedometer error?From what I've heard the larger 8.75 size are much easier to find.I don't understand why Pep Boys up here doesn't show a listing for the tire,even if they don't carry it.Seems like it should be a orderable option.Guess I'll keep searching.     Bob

drwfc7

It looks like the size difference in diameter is about 1 inch.The tire rack light truck tire size chart shows a diameter of 29 & 1/2for a 8.75 r 16.5 compared to 28 & 1/2 for a 800 r 16.5.Is there anyone else running 8.75 r 16.5 tires on their coach?Any comments? thanks   Bob

John Eversoll

Hey there neighbor "Bob....

If you want I will get you the info from Pep Boys and Post it for you and see if you can order them...

I am sorry you are having the problems finding the tires..

I will see about the price for you and send you the ordering info..

John

drwfc7

Thanks John I would really appreciate if you could get me some more info to see if I can order them and a price on the tires.I can only go so far  when I call and ask for availability but I would think that a business that buys nationally would have access at all locations.    Bob

dadw

hello all,
          For what it is worth I will add that I have 8.75 x 16.5's on my clipper. My local Discount Tire didn't want to put tires on my rv because they couldn't drive it into there drive bays.  He said it had to do with there insurance at that particular location.   Oh well,  I drove across the street to a local place called Millars Tires and they put these tires on for me in their parking lot.  I guess their insurance covered them for working in the parking lot.  Anyhow,  I have taken the rv from Bay City Michigan to Jackson Ohio,  about 8 hours driving,  with no problems to speak of.  Have Fun clipping everyone. 
          Bob

drwfc7

Thanks  dadw for the reply.What kind of price did you pay for your 8.75x16.5 if I may ask? So far it seems to very a considerable amount  that people have spent for replacement tires and availability of such.Since you're running 8.75 have you had any problem with speedometer error?What year is your coach?I'm a newbie but I presume all coaches were originally equipped with 800R 16.5 am I correct? I would like to go to the larger 8.75 which seems to be more available but is there a tradeoff problem though by doing so(gearing or speedometer error?) Anyone else have any input or words of wisdom as I am searching?    Thanks   Bob

John Eversoll

Hi Bob,  I have used Pep Boys for years when I can not find small things..

I have noticed that their quality and personality has really hit the sheets.

It is not the PepBoys I knew of.  When I bought my tires from them, " They would not

put them on the rig...  Their answer was the tire machine doesn't fit the rims"?????

Yeeeaaa,  right!   I took them over to firestone and had them installed for 40 bucks.

But anyhoo, I will get that info for ya and send it on to you..

Take care, John 

drwfc7

Seems like I'm beating a dead horse.Does anyone have any input on 16.5 tires? Either size or brand or any info would be greatly appreciated as I am on a tight schedule to buy replacements and my present tires have severe sidewall deterioration where there are a immediate replacement item.The cost is considerable and I'm looking for advice before I buy the tire company.Mainly tire size being used and brand availability are a starter.Thanks Bob 

Horst

I posted a link earlier in this thread - I have been running these for years - like them a lot.
They are still available (new) all over the place - my local guy (Holser's Tires) can get them
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.