News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Buying my first clipper

Started by calebolson23, June 21, 2018, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calebolson23

Hello!  I am on the lookout for my first clipper.  I live in Virginia, and so far, the closest I can find any for sale is Colorado; which is fine if that's what it takes.  My question is:  Is it smarter to buy a 1979 with a broken windshield and a working generator, or a 1980 with a broken cab A/C and no generator?  Both mileages are around 90K.  Is finding a windshield gonna be a huge process or can safelite or whoever just come slap on a new one?

While I'm here, I am wondering; is the club is still active?  I notice most of the updates are several years old.  If I fill out the membership form and pay the fee, can I still get the back issues of the newsletter? 

Any help is appreciated!  I'm sure I'll be frequenting this site as my adventure unfolds.

Toedtoes

Hello and welcome!

Yes, the club is still active and you can get back copies of the newsletters. As a member, you also get access to the technical sections of the forum - lots of info there.

Broken cab A/C often cannot be repaired on these older rigs.  No cab A/C and no generator to run the house A/C while driving or dry camping (without electric hookups) might be a deal breaker in Virginia.

Broken windshield - call Safelite and ask.  It does appear that you can get the trim online, so you should be OK.

The generator itself is a personal decision.  I don't have a generator and am happy. In hot weather I camp in the mountains, I don't use microwaves, etc.  My power usage is minimal.  Another person will say that a generator is a must have.  You can always buy a generator later on if you decide you do need it.

So, my biggest concern would be how the heat in Virginia will be dealt with.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

calebolson23

Thank you for the advice.  I will have to drive it back from Colorado, so I was thinking that it would be a miserable trip with no AC in the summer. 

I'm looking forward to getting started!