News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Typo for Mr. Gasket Thermostat?

Started by Autoarcheologist, September 11, 2016, 10:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autoarcheologist

Hi all,

I'm looking to order a 160 degree thermostat for our new Clipper, and I keep seeing notes saying to order the Mr. Gasket 4367 thermostat.  Everywhere I look lists that as the 180 degree tstat, and the 4366 is the 160 degree tstat.

Can folks out there confirm that the 4366 fits? 

A little background...

We just picked up a 1980 Clipper last week, one of the last apparently, and we're super excited! 

I will post an intro post once I get a few good photos.  But I'm already ordering parts and doing the basics of belts, hoses, rubber parts, plugs etc to make it reliable.

The good news is that it made it on a 2 hour drive home with no issues, then passed smog the first time.  So the engine is basically sound, but it has an occasional stumble and I might need to go through the carb at some point.

But I definitely want to make sure it stays cool so I plan to check and/or replace the coolant, hoses, t-stat, clutch fan and possibly have the radiator cleaned out.

I'm sending in our membership application tomorrow, but for now I'll have to post things here.

Thanks!
Ian
Portland, OR
1980 Clipper - Dodge 440 rear kitchen
Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member
1980 Clipper Rear Bath 821F

Autoarcheologist

Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member

Shaun4BigBlocks

Mr Gasket- this is an application where you are definitely paying for marketing.  Brass and copper construction is nice, but not necessary as the coolant will lubricate a steal t-stat from rusting.  If it was aluminum that would be another story?

Here is why I do not like the brass and copper construction:  people always replace thermostats when they go bad- don?t.  Replace every two years.  $10 is not worth blowing a head gasket over.  Second- Go with a ?Fail Safe? design.  It will default to open in the event of a failure? but I still do not trust it enough not to spend $10 every two years for piece of mind.

While you are at it, get a fresh guage sending unit.  Another $10 investment that will keep you from becoming ?that guy?.

Some big blocks are temperamental.  It helps to drill four 1/8 holes symmetrically around the rim of the t-stat centered.  Do not do this on small blocks as they do not get as hot and too low of a temp will wear your cylinder bores over time.
1977: 440/747/D70

Autoarcheologist

I thought I read somewhere that the Mr. Gasket thermostats had a larger opening, which was the reason for using them.

However now I'm seeing on Amazon that they changed the design, and they're just buying one from another vendor.

I agree it's worth replacing cheap stuff like this regularly, I just received the new belts today to replace the ones that still look new, but must be at least 15 years old.
Ian Lomax
Portland, Oregon
ACOC Member

Clipperlover10-04

hello, i have a 1979 dodge 440 and i went through this same problem. Autozone said 4363 and it was incorrect. I ended up going to O'Reilly's for it. They had to special order it but #4367 was the correct # for mine.
1979 Dodge 440, 821 SK-FCIT, 50,000 original miles
ACOC 3765

Clipper Joe

Hi ClipperLover 10-04,
Yes I Ran Into Same Problem For Wilson My 440 1977 Clipper. On Thermostat 160, #4367 Also Got It @ O'Riellys SO.

Sent Web Master A Small Write Up On This Topic Should Be In Next Newsletter.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipperlover10-04

So i was looking at my original thermostat the other day, i put it in the package of the new #4367 i had installed. Well i was reading the package and it says its a 180? thermostat, which explains why it would get so hot up grades and during day driving. Im just going to order the one from the club since i can't seem to find the correct 160? thermostat.
1979 Dodge 440, 821 SK-FCIT, 50,000 original miles
ACOC 3765

Clipper Joe

Hi,

Just Make Sure, Radiator Is In Good Clean Shape, Make Sure To Run 50-50 % Preston Anti Freeze, Make Sure Timing Is Set Properly Per Owners Manual, & Clutch Fan Is A Severe Duty, I Got Mine At Napa Auto, I Have 2 Spare Hayden Heavy Duty If Interested, Send Me A PM Maybe We Can Work Out Deal.

Back To Thermostat 160 Deg. Is hat I Run, Make Sure It Is The High Volume Large Style Like Mr. Gasket. I Like The Heavy Duty Brass Style. ;)

You Can Get These At O'Riley Auto Supply # 4367 ( Specical Order) & Ebay
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher