News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Vin# Blues

Started by Neal S3883, September 20, 2015, 06:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neal S3883

Has anyone had a problem with the American Clipper Vin# and the Dodge Vin#?

I went to get my 1978 440 American Clipper smogged (California). After a one hour wait - during which time I had to remove the dog house (never done that before for a smog test) - they told me they could not pass the RV because of the Vin#.  The "technician" showed me the Dodge Vin# did not match the paperwork. I told him and showed him that the DMV Registration and Smog form clearly identify the vehicle as an American Clipper, not a Dodge and the Vin# S3883 as shown on all DMV paperwork is clearly stamped on the frame. He said "No. The Vin# - by law is on a plate in the door sill or dash." I asked him to explain why his smog shop had passed my RV for the past 2 tests (2011 and 2013) years using the Vin# as shown on the paperwork and stamped on the frame. I explained that American Clipper bought Dodge vans, frames and engines and made RVs and put their own Vin# on once again as noted and matched on the forms. He didn't care "His brother in-law has an RV and it has the Dodge Vin#".  I asked him how much time did he think it would be worth for someone to steal a Dodge Van, cut it up and tie it into an American Clipper. He said the "Vin# is in the door. Good bye" He did say I passed though, it was just the Vin# that would not allow him to process the paperwork.

P.S.  I went to another smog shop and after waiting for two hours, they failed me for the gas cap, Fuel Evaporative Controls Functional and Ignition Timing. They could fix it all for another $135. The ignition timing problem was due to "aftermarket parts on the car and he has to enter the part# into the machine and couldn't read the number on the aftermarket part without cleaning off a lot of dirt and grease."

Note: The RV has only gone 500 miles since its smog test in 2013 which it passed without a problem.
1978 440 Bunkbeds

kenmel

I am no help but damn that makes me glad to live in Arkansas. They even did away with vehicle inspections back in the 90's. You might try and look at your paperwork from the last smog test and see if you can get that person to do the smog. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Clipper Joe

Hi Neil,
The Vin:# Should Be On A Small Plate 2" x 3 1/2"( This Is Put On By Chrysler Motor Division)  ** It Is Located On Inside Door Just Below Door Striker Unit Right Side Passenger.
I Also Live In East Bay California, And Have To Do The Dreaded Smog Every 2 Years.. I Keep A Spare New  Cap Under Seat Just for Smogging.  ;)

My DMV States As Model ** AMCLIP ** But Has Door Plate As Chassis Vin:#

On DMV They At Times Have Used The RV Compliance Sticker 4 Digit #  But Most Are Missing, They Will Be Rear RV Entry Door On Body Lower Side.

I Had A 1973 Dodge Tioga Fleetwood RV & Someone Wrote Jambo, Short For Jamboree.

Now Is Your RV Title State Is It A Salvage Unit? Or Was There A Calif. DMV Control # Placed On Door Inside Sill By Hinges.

If You PM Me & Give Me Your Contact Phone # Or E-Mail I May Be Able To Help With This.. Do This In My Messages & Send Msg.

Did You Just By This RV?, To Let You Know The Seller Has To Take Care Of Smog In Calif. & Make Sure It Passes. :) :-\

Hope This Helps.
Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

The vehicle identification number (VIN) is the Dodge #.  That is what the clipper SHOULD have been registered with.  It is the official number to identify the vehicle part of the motorhome.  As Clipper Joe states, it's usually on the door frame on the driver's side or the driver's door itself.  It should also be in the engine compartment.

The 5 digit number is the house serial number.  It is not a VIN and should not have been used to register the vehicle.

Now, all that said and done, your clipper was obviously registered incorrectly using the house serial number.  You can try to have it changed with DMV, but that will be a pain in the butt.  I'd recommend trying another shop and if a comment is made about the VIN not matching, simply tell them "yes, for some reason when it was first registered, they used the house serial number instead of the actual VIN.  If you use that number, it will go through without issue."  (Basically, no arguing with them about it, instead agreeing that it is wrong, but that DMV is aware and is OK using the serial number.)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Neal S3883

Thank you for your replies. I've had this Clipper for eight years and have all the paperwork for the RV going back to the original owner and every registration card has S3883 as the VIN#.  For what ever reason, when it was first sold, the California DMV did not use the Dodge VIN# that is on the plate in the door frame, they used the American Clipper # on the frame. I'd be curious to know how many other Clippers were registered this way.

Continuing with VIN# oddities. My 1941 Packards (as do most Packards)  have a large "theft proof" sequential number stamped on the firewall.   There is also a metal plate attached to the firewall with 4 screws giving the Model# and a sequential# with no reference to the theft proof#. And what is the VIN# for the cars? The engine# that is stamped on the block!

For my Morris Minor Traveller and MGs, even though a sequential number is stamped on the frame or uni-body, the VIN# is found stamped onto a strip of aluminum riveted onto the block. This number describes the type of engine, what make of car it went into and the sequential number for the engine. If the engine was ever rebuilt and "dipped", the aluminum strip dissolves! And of course with these old cars, engines have been replaced. As long as the registration has been kept up, there isn't a problem as no one ever checks, but trying to get a car retitled after the registration has lapsed causes a lot of headaches!
1978 440 Bunkbeds