News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Is Anybody Else into Photography?

Started by Toedtoes, April 05, 2014, 08:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

I am an avid amateur photographer.  It's the main reason why I wanted an RV - so that I could go out and shoot in the early morning light, kick back in comfort during the heat of the day, and then head back out for the evening light.  I haven't done too much since I got my clipper - my focus has been getting it into shape and just taking test trips in it this past year.  But, I'm gearing up for some good photo ops in the near future.

Is anyone else in photography?
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Rd Ready

Thats one of the thing's I wanted to Do to, I just Bought a Nikon D-3300.. I love it... Can't wait to learn How to use it.. Slowly I go.. I need to get More len's though..

Toedtoes

Ah, my favorite subject (other than clippers).  ;D

Hold off on the other lenses for now.  Get familiar with what your camera body can do first.  Once you get familiar with it, you can figure out what you really need and spend the money once.  So many people buy multiple lenses first and then find out they either don't use the lens ever or that it's just not a good enough lens for their needs.  They then have to buy something else, spending a lot more money.

Figure out if you need a fast lens (f2.8 or wider aperture) or if you need an ultra wide angle, etc. before jumping in to the expense of buying.  The more you figure out before you buy, the less you'll spend on lenses you don't use.

In my 9 years since I bought my first dSLR (a Canon Rebel XT with the 18-55mm kit lens and a cheap 75-300mm telephoto lens), I have added the following to my gear (in order of purchase):

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 - great portrait lens
Tamron 200-500mm f5.0-f6.3 - I was desperate for more reach for wildlife shots
2nd Rebel XT body - justification was so my niece could use it; reality was so I didn't have to switch lenses as often
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 - my kit lens had broken and so I upgraded to a better lens at that focal range
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 - As I started doing more and more scenic shots, I really wanted the ultra wide
Rebel XT body altered to shoot infrared - got a great deal on it used and couldn't resist the chance to experiment more with b&w photography
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 - after 8 years, I finally decided to upgrade my original 75-300mm lens.  The original lens was only $150 so I didn't feel that I had wasted the money
Canon 40D and Canon 50D bodies - my original 2 XTs finally started feeling their age, so I decided to upgrade both.

Except for the first XT, all my camera bodies were bought used.  The cost for the 40D and 50D combined was less than a new Rebel body.  They were both bought from B&H Photo so I knew I was getting the quality claimed.

I researched my choices for each lens range very carefully.  Because of that, I am able to say that the only lens that could remotely be considered "a bad purchase" was the original 75-300mm lens.  But, in my defense, when I bought the original Rebel XT and the two lenses, I was in the middle of a vacation, the camera I had at the time broke down, and I decided to move to the dSLR rather than get another point & shoot.  I wanted that telephoto reach for the rest of the trip, and the lens was only $150 (and was the only lens in that range available at the store).  I used that lens a ton for 8 years before I finally upgraded to the 70-200mm f2.8.   

So, take your time and figure out what you really want in a lens before you buy.  Lens envy is very real, but if you make good purchases from the start, you won't spend a lot of money on lenses that sit in a case unused.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Rd Ready

Great Advice. Toedtoes: thank you I shall Follow to a Tee. lol