News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Packing Cubes

Started by Toedtoes, February 28, 2015, 03:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

I had read a blog a while back about a couple full-timing in their class B.  They indicated that they started using packing cubes to simplify and minimize the space needed for their clothing.  I decided to give it a try.

So, I picked some up and started experimenting.  I picked up 2 standard sets of 3 ebags packing cubes (one of each large, medium, and small per set).  I store enough clothing in my clipper for two 4-day camping trips in either hot or cold weather. 

I placed 1/2 of the pants, shorts, tanks, t-shirts in each of the two large cubes.  Each of two medium cubes contains 1/2 of sleepwear, underwear, socks.  The two small cubes contain specialized gear - long johns, swimwear, etc. 

I love them!   This cut the amount of space needed for my clothes in half.  It also makes it easier to get one item out without having to re-stack the entire cupboard.  I played around with different packing combos, but find this set up to work the best.  I can camp out of one large and one medium bag on each trip, wash and restock - easily rotating through all the clothes throughout the year.

Since this worked SO well, I decided to take this a bit further.  I got two more standard sets of 3 cubes each (large, medium and small) and one set of 3 slim cubes (all large).  The slim cubes are the same length as the small standard, but about 1/2 the width.

For the standard cubes, I'm using them as follows:

1 large - fresh water hoses
1 large - 30 amp shore power cord and adapters
1 medium - 15 amp extension cord
1 medium - I actually use in the house for other stuff
1 small - tie out lines for the dogs, etc.
1 small - electronics cords (USB, car chargers, etc.)

For the slim cubes, I use one for spare batteries; one for emergency and citronella candles; one for miscellaneous gear (lighters, tent stakes, lightweight rope/cord, matches, etc. - all the stuff you shove into your "junk drawer" at home).

What all this has done is open up a lot more space in my cupboards, etc.  Before I got the packing cubes, I had no empty cupboard space.  Now, I have 1-1/2 sections of the overhead cupboards (over dinette and couch) empty.  I will keep it that way for when friends comes along on trips.  It has made pulling out the power cords from that little opening under the dinette very easy.  With the hoses, it works great because it allows the hoses to dry out while stored.

You can get them in different colors to help organize.  They all have handles to easily "grab and go".  They are soft-sided so they don't take up any more room than is needed for the contents.  They are also washable.   I may convert to them for my tool cupboard - they'll be great for gloves, tools, etc. and will minimize the lost "air space" taken up with plastic bins.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754