News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

New Orleans

Started by Rd Ready, July 23, 2014, 07:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rd Ready

>:( So Darn Mad at my self for not doing More research on my trip, We finally got to Brookhaven Miss, Spent one night, then took off for New Orleans, Although Webster Performed Awesomely,  and we Have Pleny of Great Photos, we wanted to go Visit the French Quarter.. Had Nothing but Problem's.. NEVER GO THERE BLINDLY, always do Research, Lesson Learned. I think.. So we Got there and right away I was not liking the One way Streets, My Friend & Driver Had been there before and says things Have really Changed, the streets Have Lost their  Gerth, What  was once a wide enough Street to take a ride in a Horse & carriage. is now no bigger then a Old school V.w Bug. It's Missing it's Charm & Culture, it's not the same.. The Bourbon Street that once was is no longer the same.. I feel like they are doing everything in their Power to increase Profit's,  it has Been built up and Crowded beyond belief. And there was No Place to Park the Clipper that we were aware of.. Not to mention the People there all seemed to have an Attitude or  Mad. I will Never Go there Again.. it ruined my whole experience. but oh well >.I'm not a City Boy type.. I only went there to Help Her Fulfill Her Bucket List so to Speak,    But on a good Note, (Sorry it was so Negative so Far..) I got lots of awesome Pictures of the Landscape And loved the scenery.. of the Swamp as you Drive there. And Best of all the trip in Webster was Amazing. He Is a Strong An awesome Vehicle.. Thank you Irv Perch.. for the Finest Bullet Proof Traveling Home..

Toedtoes

I think that's the easiest way to be dissatisfied with a place - have a real (old) or imagined (dreamed of) view of a town/city and then get there to find out it is nothing like it was or was imagined.  A place like New Orleans, which went through a pretty much complete change, is probably disappointing people a lot - those that remember the old New Orleans and those that spent years dreaming of visiting that place they saw in movies, etc.  I suspect people visiting Atlanta felt the same way after it was burned down and rebuilt.  Niagara Falls is a town that disappoints people because they have a vision of a wild, natural setting - when they arrive, the town is nothing like they imagined and they hate it.

The trick, when you are there, is to stop, sit down somewhere, and just soak up the new atmosphere.  Stop trying to find what you thought was there and just let what is there find its way into your soul. 

Don't write off New Orleans.  Give it another chance - knowing it's not what it was, but finding joy in what it is.

Glad the rest of the trip went well clipper-wise.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Rd Ready<
Great To Hear You Made It Home, To Bad You Had To Take Another Clipper So Far From It Was Made, But I Say Share The Love For The Rest Of The States To See The Best RV Ever Made An American Clipper. Make Sure That You Keep Those Decals On The Front & Rear Of Webster In Good Shape. ;)
Remember You Can Get New Ones From Mel @ ACOC Make Sure You Update Your Move Info So You Can Get The News Letters & Info To Your New Address?

Like Toedtoes Said, Don't Give Up On Places, Sometimes Things Do Change. Now You Have Driven A Long Ways, You Now Can Enjoy Camping & Other Outings In Your Clipper.

Again Glad You Made It There Safely & Good Luck With Webster, Remember Get Your Photo Of Your Rig In The New Calendar, See Web Site For Info & Toedtoes Is The Contact Person. ;D

Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Rd Ready

I like that Toedtoes, ( knowing it's not what it was, but finding joy in what it is.)  Thats Good...thanks for the advice. I might go back.. But don't hold your breath.. I'm not a City boy Anyway.. And trust me it's a Big City.. Thank you Clipper Joe we are So glad to be here to.. Can't wait to Actually use the R.V for what it was Meant for.. But now I have to Give him some T.L.C. I do have one new Decal I'm gonna put on real soon But I might need to order one for the rear,  it's looking Pretty beat up. so much to do so little time..First thing's first though, I discovered My leak repair Failed .. I have a leak, coming from the Exhaust vent from the Refrigerator or somewhere around there. what joy.. So now I have three spot's where I have to tear the roof out form the inside and repair. and one spot in the Bathroom.. Lovely. .. wish me luck..Never done that type of work before.. But the Good part is when I start the Work , I have a GO Pro Camera, I'll document it for other Clipper owners ! ..  AND WILL PUT IT ON YOU TUBE.. thanks guys for the Chat.. love you. !! 

jbtbbrewer

Hate that you had a hard time. I think that what we remember a place to be can change through the years. Although much of New Orleans changed and Katrina took a toll on much of the outer areas... but the French Quarter was not touched or flooded.. just abandoned for a day or so ( bars were open the very day the storm passed). I have to say though the streets haven't changed an inch since the 1800s. The company I worked for had the privilege of restoring portions of three of the four sides to Jackson Square (Pre Katrina)  including the Cabildo (building to the right of the Cathedral). We also did the majority of our work Post Katrina in New Orleans , including Lake Front Airport ( site for the filming of the Green Lantern - in the middle of our project no less), Jackson Barracks at the levy and so forth. But the damage was done to the surrounding areas.  I really do hate that you had a rough time, but true the Quarter is no place for these rigs. If for the crime if not for space. This is a great post and makes me think to research the areas I may take out rig into.