News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Camping with Pets

Started by Toedtoes, October 28, 2013, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

I camp with two large dogs (and now a parrot).  I know others camp with their pets.  It might be nice to share some tips on how to make it easier and more enjoyable for the critters.

For me, I have found the following helpful:

1. a spray bottle with water - this has been extremely helpful in teaching my young one (screen name Batdog) appropriate camping behavior.  She was very territorial and would bark at anyone going by when she started camping.  Now, she has improved 98%.  And it's a quiet resolution.

2.  special camping toys - I placed a bin of toys under the dinette table.  These are toys that the dogs only get when we're camping.  As soon as they get in the clipper, they go straight to their toy box and start pulling them out.  They seem to think of the clipper as a giant toy box now.  Special food treats that are only available when camping/in the clipper can work also.

3.  when I first got a trailer (prior to clipper), I spent the first winter doing driveway camp outs with the dogs.  We would spend a night at least once a month in the trailer.  That got the dogs used to the new "home" before they had to deal with new surroundings.

4.  a good 6 foot leather leash - you will have the most control over your dog with a good old fashioned 6 foot leather leash.  If your dog hasn't been around nature and wildlife before, it pays to be extra safe.  Batdog and her brother (screen name Moosedog) will ignore birds and squirrels, but never a lizard - they are bound and determined to catch a lizard, even if they have to leap over a cliff to do so. That leash keeps them safe from themselves.

5.  for my dogs, who sleep in the top bunk, a set of "dog steps" (http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Gear-Stairs-150-pounds-Chocolate/dp/B003SZSYAW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1383017719&sr=8-14&keywords=plastic+dog+steps) has been invaluable.  I flip open the sofa bed, put the steps on that, and the dogs walk up onto the bunk bed.  In the morning, they walk down, I slip the steps on the bunk bed to store, and close the sofa.  The dogs love the view from the bunk.

6.  know your dog(s) limits - Batdog gets tired and cranky after a few days.  Depending on whether we are solo camping or group camping, I limit our stay accordingly.  I also try to give her nap time during the day.  Learn your own dog's limits and pay attention to the signs.  The worst thing is going on a hike and having your dog refuse to go a step further - when you're still a mile from camp.

7.  be considerate of other campers - don't let your dog roam into someone else's camping space, make sure you clean up after your dog promptly, etc.  Even though your dog is the most social and sweet and kind dog in the world, some people (and some dogs) don't want to get to know him/her.  Respect that and keep your dog at a distance unless invited.  And remember no matter how nice and sweet and perfect YOUR dog is, you can never be sure that the other dog is as nice and sweet and perfect as its owners' claim.

Anyone else?
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Todtoes,
I Read Your Post On Pet Campings,

We Have a Seven Year Old Short Legged Chihuahua, Her Name Is " ANNIE " ,
We Have Never Taken Her With Us Camping, She Has A Hard Time Getting Her Harness & Leash On.
We Have Always Made Here A House Lap Dog, Its Our Fault, Didn't Train Her At Birth Right. We Bad.

She Only Likes To Walk On Grass, Has Trouble With Rocks, Hard On Her Hips.
I Have Picked Her Up A Few Times & Put Her In The Clipper While I Was Working Inside It.
She Enjoys That, She Likes Being With Her Daddy. She Does Not Get Around Many Other Dogs For That Said Don't Know. May Have To Talk To Dog Whisper.

Any Ideas????
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Some dogs don't really want to go "camping".  Like some people.  They want their creature comforts.  But, that's the great thing about an RV - you don't have to rough it if you don't want to.
She might prefer to be a "clipper homebody".  She stays in or near her home on wheels.

Does she bark at passerby when you're home?  If not, then she probably won't bark while in the clipper.  You'll want to get her used to being alone in it at times - if you use a crate at home when you're gone, you can use one while on the road also.  Try to keep things as similar as to how you do things at home.

I'd start with a quick overnight stay.  Preferably in your own driveway.  Then do some short local drives with her so she can get used to the movement.  You can get/make some steps for her to use in the RV so she can get on the sofa, etc. (if you want her on there).  If she has a special blanket or bed, try putting that in the clipper for when she's there. 

As she gets comfortable with it, you can go farther, stay longer, etc.

As to other dogs, do you take her to the park, walk her in the neighborhood, etc.?  How does she handle that.  Staying in the clipper won't be too different.

With my dogs, one thing I've noticed is that Batdog doesn't get territorial over the campsite until the end of the second day.  After the second day, she sees the picnic table, parking pad, etc. as HERS and behaves as such.  The first two days, she is pretty easy going about people traipsing through.  With a bit of attention, you'll learn how your dog sees these things and can adjust your trips accordingly.

Jax

Toedtoes all very good points that you made. I like the idea of camping in your driveway for a night here & there to get them used to the idea & get used to the camper! I think the hard part for us will be the driving part since as you know the Clipper doesn't always drive nice & smooth but tends to rock a little & can be a bit noisy. So we will just take it one step at a time. Thanks for posting your point of view since we do not want to leave them behind & would rather take them with us.
1975 Dodge 360 Clipper 21' rear kitchen.

Toedtoes

The noise and movement threw Moosedog at first.  But a few short 30 minute drives here and there (preferably to a "fun" place for the dog) helped him get used to it.  Now he doesn't even notice. 

A couple things that can help while driving:

If you use a crate in your car, then use it while driving in the clipper.  It will be more familiar and the dog can relax.  If you want to be able to eliminate the crate, after a couple trips, remove the door; then after a couple more, remove the top; then eliminate it altogether.

A nervous dog needs fresh air.  Using a fan to help move the air around the clipper house area can help, especially in hot weather.  If you are able to run the AC while you drive, that's even better.

I usually don't provide water while I'm driving as it ends up spilled on the floor instead of inside the animals.  I do make sure they are fully hydrated before starting off.  Then when we arrive, they immediately go out to potty and I give them their fill of water and then keep it topped off throughout the stay.  If you're driving distances in the heat, you may want to freeze the water in a bowl and let it sit.  The dogs can lick the ice and the runoff as it melts and it will be less likely to spill.

If the dog is small or elderly, you might want to use a nice dog pillow on the floor and keep any steps put away.  This way the dog won't be trying to climb up onto the sofa, etc. and lose their footing.  My dog steps are never down when we're driving so I don't have to worry about them getting hurt.

Another trick I've learned when at a campsite:  get some keychain pill tubes (http://www.amazon.com/SE-Holder-Keychain-Assorted-Colors/dp/B000P91E4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397788427&sr=8-1&keywords=keychain+pill+tube) to use as dog tags.  On a small piece of paper, write the dog's name, your vehicle license number, the campground/RV park you're staying at, the dates of the stay, the campsite number, and a phone number you can be reached at while on the road.  Roll it up and put it in the tube, then put a drop of crazy glue on the tube threading and close the tube.  Attach it to the dog's collar.

If the dog gets lost, folks can easily find you at the campground/RV park.  If you're in a real jam and have to leave without the dog, the finders can provide the info to the authorities to get in touch with you down the road.  It is water-proof, but you can easily change out the info as you move on.  Depending on the activity level of the dog, the tubes can unscrew - the drop of crazy glue keeps it together longer.  But do check it each night and morning to be sure it didn't come loose.