News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

My clipper saga part4

Started by retrorob, June 15, 2012, 11:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrorob

OK its been awhile since " My Clipper saga pt.3" so I thought I'd bring everybody up to date. While finishing the brake job, on closer inspection of the tires I found the inside tire on the rear passenger side badly checked from age. My spare was brand new so I installed that and purchaced a new one to go with it. My plan is to replace the other rear side next month then the fronts a month after. These 16.5 hides are a pain to locate and aint cheap. Les Schwab to the rescue. I pulled the rear differential cover off, cleaned out the goop that was the old 90wt gear lube. A new cover gasket and close to a gallon of gear lube and that project was done. On to the tranny. The trans fluid looked fairly good, the pan had a little sludge on the bottom but not as bad as I was expecting. I dropped the valve body and and installed a Trans-go shift kit and new filter. Since the onset of monsoon season was here in western Washington state I moved back in to repairs inside. Now, I really like the "Brady Bunch" feel of the decor inside. Having said that, I just cant abide the orange shag carpet. Not only is it visualy disturbing but carpet of any kind doesnt seem to make sense in an RV that is going to be treking to the woods. Not mud and dirt freindly. So that has to go but what to put in its place? At first I was sold on vinyl but a trip to the Home Despot convinced me to install Pergo wood floor. Warmer wood look, fairly inexpensive and easier for me to install than vinyl (no floor leveling required). Less than a hundred bucks I had my wood flooring, thin foam underlayment but that carpet had to come out before the new stuff could go in. I thought I had been prepaired for the job, having read threads here about "The mad stapler" that installed the carpet at the factory but I was mistaken. I think this guy got paid per staple and he got rich! No exageration, there is 20 to 30 staples per square foot. What the hell were they thinking? A couple of hours a day after work for weeks and very sore knees(insert joke here) finaly got the the capet and staples removed. It realy only took about eight hours to get the neww floor in.

The new floor looks great, a hell of a lot better than the orange shag anyway. I have yet to do the bathroom which I'm dreading becas of the weird angles and the confined space. Next project on the list: a trailer hitch. I have a copy of the hitch plans from this site.

John Eversoll

Hi Rob, John Here,,,,
Sounds nice..If ya not doing anything next summer drive down my way and you can help me install new paneling...... I have the new motor "440" and the new 727" just need to install the gas tank and do a brake job  and put in a couple of coil springs in front and she be ready to fly..
Like I said if ya guys are in the area  stop by, I have nine acres and you can dry camp anywhere ya want as long as there is a clean area to park in...