News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

REFRIGERATOR PROBLEMS

Started by mccammonds, September 30, 2010, 08:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mccammonds

I have an original Dometic Refrigerator. I use only propane.  The Electrical filament in out of the heating element.   For the last year  or so I can only get the pilot light to stay on.  This works well  when you are in a cooler climate.  But at 90 degrees it does not cool enough.  Has any one found any one out there who will work on these old refrigerators???
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

John Eversoll

Hi there, I found one guy in Riverside Calif.  He wanted just about as much to fix

as it would be to replace..  $ 977.36  I still have his estimate"

So with that in mind I will get a new fridge next month with my ssi check..

I just for the life of me can't fig out why it is so expensive....  "maybe I am too cheep"

John

Horst

Hi Mccammonds,
My original fridge works on all three settings still (lucky I guess) and it works well.
HOWEVER!! - when it is 90+ degrees, and the Clipper has no shade (in other words it's freaking hot) my fridge did not work so well - there was simply too much ambient heat surrounding the fridge - and I couldn't get it to cool down properly. On thing I want to get is one of those battery operated mini fridge fans (camping world, etc.) I hear they help a LOT especially for how cheap and simple they are.

I wonder if even a new fridge, in those circumstances, would work well without additional insulation all around - and keeping the inside of the coach cool via AC.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

LARRY RAY

The flame that heats the amonia powder is not much larger than a pilot light to begin with. ???
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

USNRetired

Does anyone know what the up-to-date, current model number is that is comparable to the original RM66E 3-Way Dometic Refrigerator's?  I'd even be happy with a 2 way (AC/LPG) model of same dimensions.

I did find a website where you can order the cooling units for the RM66E, mine is leaking amonia or at least there is a very strong amonia smell present inside the reefer.  But I hesitate to drop $400 for a cooling unit only to maybe have to replace other parts or components afterwards.  Mine does not currently work in the AC or DC mode, but was working fine on gas until recently. 

From what I've seen, just a replacement unit runs anywhere between $800 and $1300 depending on where it's purchased.  I guess there is an outfit in Chula Vista, CA and that's only 50 miles from me.
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, There was a company out of Corona..  I will try a dig up the info for that place

and send it on to you...  Then again have you tried Camping World????

John     :)

USNRetired

;D
I've found a possible solution to our refrigerator problem for the Clippers.  Mine had the original RM66E Dometic Refrigerator and I just had a newly rebuilt/refurbished RM2500 installed.  The work was done by Kona Cools, Inc.  Matt Willis out of Homeland, CA.. located in Riverside County, Southern California.  Kona Cools does not ship and will not accept cooling units shipped to them.  They have a service area of Southern California and will either come to us or we can come to them.  

They drove to my location in Oceanside twice in order to satisfactorily install an operating refrigerator in my American Clipper and so far, I am very happy with the results.  It cost me $450 for the refrigerator and $100 for installation and Matt spent at least 5 hours working to solve all problems and leave me with a properly operating and installed refrigerator.  

We started out with a RM3500 with automatic switching controls and ended up with a RM2500 with manual switching controls.  At my request, the 12V feature is disabled, otherwise this is a 3 way reefer.  AND IT WORKS!

I will give more information regarding Matt and his company as I am assured his product is good and it was worth the money spent.

::)
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

UPDATE:

Last weekend had a problem with propane lighting and called Matt.  He asked me to check a few things, one of which was the electrical connections for power to the ignighter.  Turns out the ground wire was loose.  A couple turns of the screw to tighten the connection and everything worked.  That is the only glitch I've had and this is my second time out using the refrigerator.  This time was out for 5 days and I am a happy camper with this installation and with Matt's speed to service.  He was willing to come down himself, but I told him I'd check it and let him know if it didn't work.  I learned a little more on the trouble shooting end and still have a good working unit for probably less than half of what a new one would have cost not even counting installation charges Camping World would have charged.  :-)
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

That's just what we want to here!!!!!!

Someone that can do the job RIGHT the first time!!!!

Thanks Jim!!!!!!