News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

360 versus 440 GVW......front coil spring diameters?

Started by Horst, April 08, 2010, 11:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

I have a favor to ask of any 440 Clipper owners.

Could you please tell me what the GVW rating is of your rig? It is on the VIN plate located by the driver's side entry (gotta open the door to read it)

My 75, 360 clipper is GVW is 9000lbs, and the diameter of my front coil springs is 1 inch?

What is the diameter of the coil springs on your 440s?
(It will either be 1 inch, or  1 and 1/4 inch)

I'm getting ready to order those coil spring stabilizers, and need to clarify a few bits with Raybestos and JC Whitney before I do.
Thanks
H.

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Hank Jourdin

Hello Horst, I have a 78  clipper the gvw is 9000 , the spring diameter is .890 which is 57/64 > What ya building? Hank out

Horst

OK - so I'll take that as 1 inch.
I'm going to be ordering these

http://www.jcwhitney.com/professional-grade-coil-spring-stabilizer/p2023252.jcwx?skuId=824932

Spent 20 minutes chatting (online) to a JC Whitney tech who said they sell these quite often - and that for the money - they do a great job in helping stiffen up and support tired springs - so I'm going to give them a shot. No special tools required - just snap them in there.

I'll report the results later in the summer when I've logged some miles with these puppies.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Hank Jourdin

Hey Horst, We use to use these  back when I was a kid to raise the front end up , The only thing is that some times when you would hit a good bump one might pop out. Didn't happen very often ,but it happened. Good luck with it, oh and mine is a 44o motor. Hank out!

Horst

Hank
You used the ones I linked to above?
Did they help in stiffening up the spring a bit?

One of my customers (hardcore rv guy) said I'm wasting my time - he says they won't help one bit....so now I'm sort of bummed out - but I'm going to get them anyway - it's not like I'm spending a lot.

It seems like they will help in preventing the spring from "bottoming out" - we'll see.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

Hank Jourdin

Hi Horst, All those spring spacers do is spread the spring apart and lengthens the spring making them stiffer. Those type look like they should stay in the spring. The old type just rolled in as you twisted them to get them in the spring, and they could pop out if you hit a good bump. They will stiffin up the ride a little bit though. Like you said were not talkin breakin the bank, go for it    Hank Out!

prophetdaniel2

Horst,
     how many do you/ are you buying? they look interesting to me, might have to try them meself.

Horst

Daniel
I haven't yet decided how many to buy - they come four pieces to a set -  (2 per coil I suppose is the thinking there.)
Now the JC Whitney tech said one can put more than two on per coil - I'm not sure what I'm going to do - but I think I'm going to order two sets (8 pieces) - I might put three or four on my left one and two on my right - I'm going to experiment.
Also - I'll be reading the instructions, etc.
However, I looked at my coils - there aren't many "spots" to insert these suckers - so I may in fact end up just be able to put in 2 on each coil.

Hank - they (Raybestos) still make that old type - the round disc shaped one - but it seems like the ones above might work better for my needs.

By the way - the Raybestos web site STINKS. They make you pay $1.75 PER MINUTE!!!!! to talk to a Technical support Rep - they can kiss my a$$!! (I didn't talk to a Raybestos rep of course - spent my time with the JC Whitney rep -  still - Raybestos needs to offer some free advice for their product...........almost made me mad enough not to buy their stuff  - and if there was a similar product out there - believe me - I'd not give Raybestos my money!)
Horst
ACOC  #2961

Horst

Well I just ordered those stabilizers - 2 sets (8 pieces) - under $19 delivered - should be here by the end of the month.
If they don't work - not the end of the world.
If they help even a little bit - woohoo! - hopefully I'll have them installed for our Big Sur trip - then I can give a report on how they did.
Horst
ACOC  #2961

John Eversoll

Hi there Horst, MY bIggest problem is Breaking Springs...

and it is only on the drivers side front. Thanks, John

John Eversoll

Hey there ro, I just got in from checking the weight

Check this one out   "10200 gvw"

John

Horst

that's what I thought  - that the "later" model 440s were `10,000+ lbs GVW
I'll bet your spring diameter is 1.25 inches too...............
Horst
ACOC  #2961

John Eversoll

OK, now I have a situation....

Here goes New coil, New dist cap,New ballast resister,

Here is the problem-----  NO spark"  Cranks like crazy but will not fire.

Got any ideas

Thanks for your help,  John

cpcarroll

John
How about the ECU have had them just stop working or a bad plug to the ECU.

Good Luck
Chuck

Horst

Man, what a bummer - electrical dunce here (as you know) - but could be a lot of things.
You have no spark going to the dist. cap?
Or no spark coming out of the cap?
Check all grounds - and re-check your new ballast resistor (I have seen cracked new ones)

As noted ECU could be a problem (always good to carry a spare one of those puppies anyways)

I forgot - do our Clippers have a crank sensor?? Anyone know? That's a long shot - but has caused problems for a friend of mine's Dodge  before.
Maybe some sort of "relay"? switch.
might not hurt to do little googling - you might get lucky
Horst
ACOC  #2961