News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Carbs

Started by John Eversoll, March 05, 2010, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Horst or Jerry or Hank,

Do one of you guys have a clue as to if the 318 and the 440

carbs are interchangeable....  I have a thermaquad on the 440

and was wondering if the barb on a 318 would fit on the 440

If so please let me know tonight, I going to wrecking yard tomorrow

John

prophetdaniel2

Hey John,
     I have no experience with this nor should I be responding, but Since the 360/318 block is different from the 400/440 I wouldn't think the carbs would fit interchangeably.
But I am interested in learning from some one who knows for for sure.

John Eversoll

Hank Jourdin

Hey John,   What carb are you talking about from the 318 motor, mine came stock with a  carter 2 barrel. What are you wanting to put on? You can put just about any carb you want on with the help of a base plate adaptor. The problem is it has to be able to pass a smog test, remember  we live in California. If your not happy with the thermoquad I would sugest an all aluminum carter 625 or 650 cfm carb. Some of the late 60 & 70's chrysler products used them. Take a walk through the bone yard, you might get lucky.             Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hi there Hank,
My 440, came with the Thermoquad...

and I was just wondering wha if any other 4 barrel

would fit.  I found 9  -- 70's  Vans today..*&%^#!@)?<>":}{*****9(

every F*^%($#@  one of the carbs were gone... It's like someone said Hey Johns coming

to get a carb..  Take them all before he gets here!!!   There, I feel much better ahhhhhh...

Most of them were Tradesmans  there were three Sportsmans.  They were really beat up.

I did manage to grab the instument cluster.... I don't know why I bother I must have about

five or six now just collecting dust.   I bought a new coil for the girl today and when I went

to put it on the wires to the neg and the posit both cracked and ame apart??

I hae never had this happen.  I always keep wire and solderless ends on hand for quick fixes.
Any way back at the ranch,,,, I was just wondering if the carbs are intechangeable.

Going from a Thermaquad to a carter is ther a problem with the manifolds??

Thanks  Hank!!!!  and sorry for me just rambling on and on..  must be the meds kicking in

John.. :)

Hank Jourdin

Have a better day John, Carbs don't have to come only off of dodge vans they were used on alot of the larger B body cars, Chrysler, Dodge, & Plymouth , 360, 400, & 440 motors.  If they are 4 barrel carbs they will fit. Just rember they must have  all the smog stuff . You might have to make some minor changes to make it work . One thing stay away from the 4 barrel Holley, They had big problems with the metering bodies wharping which caused flooding at idle and poor peformance. Do to the intence heat that the larter smoged motors put out. Look a Street Rodder Mag. they a lots of carbs that would work,like edelbrock they make carbs they are very much like the Carters, I have one on that 41 Plymouth with the 383 motor in the picture, and it works great. Or google Giant Auto Parts They have just about everything. check out different bone yards and look for those models I told you, maybe you might find a good thermoquad. By the way whats wrong with the one you have? I happen to know where ther is a brand new thermoquad still in its original box,and never had gas in it.

prophetdaniel2

Hey John, How much for one of your instrument clusters?

Hank Jourdin

Hey Dan-2, What do you need , I have all the gauges out of my cluster and the circut board, but you can see someone tried to repair it and did a very poor job, but if you need them their yours.  Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Hi Dan,

Just pay for the shipping and it is yours!!

The color is green drk.

:)

John Eversoll

Thanks Hank!!!!

I guess I will have my daughter drag me to the wrecking yard again..

I saw several of the cars that you mentioned and did not even think of checking those out.

It is so funny to watch my daughters face when I say wrecking yard.

It is the same look when she gets to go to Disneyland.

It is going to be funny to watch her find a guy that likes the same thing she does!!

I will just make sure I am cleaning all my rifles the day she brings him home to meet

me.  She is my buddyand enjoys the following things

LAW ENFORCEMENT, Wrecking yards, Nascar, cooking, war movies,  Jack Daniels!

Again Thanks for the info and I will let ya know how  I make out.

John :)

Hank Jourdin

Hey John E.  Sounds like you discribed the little girl who grew up next door to me. Father was a law man, she loved Hot Rods. When she graduated from high school for a grad gift she wanted a tool box and lot of tools to work on her Mustang, which she changed motors in and tricked it out a little. She did a fair job for 18 year old gal. She amazed me! By the way they used those carbs into the 80's until they went to fuel injection. Look for the big bodied cars even some of A body cars like Duster or Demans. I found a 8-3/4 posi rear end out of a 71 Duster drum to drum for 50 bucks, the posi worth 200.00. I went through it and put it in the 41 Plymouth.  Hank Jourdin

John Eversoll

Yea, that"s my daughter, A 3rd degree black belt that wants to be a cop.

I pitty the guy that messes her over!!! 5' 4" 135 lbs and can do a round house kick

over my head and I am 5' 11"  I have had her in Karate since she was 7 yrs old.

She is a great person to go into a dark alley with.   Speaks mexican too!

That helps at the taco shops too!!!  Especilly when the taco dudes are talking about

you.   Take care, John.....  and I will be checking out those cars!!