News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Essential gear for RVing

Started by prophetdaniel2, August 13, 2009, 07:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

Well I still have not cleaned out the Clipper from the S. Rolley trip. :-\

But the question is: What handy Items do you recommend or feel is essential for camping in the Clipper?
                                (not intended to include auto tools, auto parts,fluids)
I am thinking about:
-A bucksaw
-Machete
  (I just saw(hehe ::)) a cool Gerber brand machete with saw on the spine which could serve both purposes)
-French press :-*

what do you think? lets get a good list going! I have been intending to compile a complete checklist of food and supplies for Clipper camping, as I have not found anything of the sort on the interweb yet.
-D

BUCKSAW
MACHETE
FRENCH PRESS
40' ROPE
HAND AXE / HATCHET
WATERPROOF MATCHES
RECIPROCATING SAW W/ WOOD AND METAL BLADES
GORILLA / DUCT TAPE
GOOD FIRSTAID KIT
8X10 DROP CLOTH
EXTENSION CORD
GARDEN HOSE
BATTERY CHARGER
FIX-A-FLAT
15' EXTEND-A-POLE W/ PRUNING SAW
ELECTRIC CHAINSAW!
CHARGE CARD
ZIPLOCKS 3 SIZES
ALUMINUM FOIL
HAND SANITIZER
PAPER TOWELS
LIGHTERS
CAMERA
BUG DOPE
SUNBLOCK
CIG LIGHTER TYPE INVERTER
10" FAN
DISPOSABLE GLOVES
LAPTOP/ MOVIE PLAYER & MOVIES
DUTCH OVEN
BEER!
RECHARGEABLE LANTERNS
WITCH HAZEL
JUMPER CABLES
12 VOLT COMPRESSOR
SOLAR SHOWER
DISTILLED WATER
FOLDING SHOVEL
SCREENS FOR CAB WINDOWS
ROLL OF VELCRO
FISHING ROD AND TACKLE / FLIES / BAIT
BATTERIES AA, AAA, C, D, 9VOLT
TOILET PAPER
COFFEE (APPROPRIATE GRIND)
MINI FLOOR JACK
SPARK PLUG WIRES AND PLUGS
EAR PLUGS
IPOD(w/transmitter)/ CASSETTES / CD'S (LP'S 45'S 8 TRACK ANYONE?)
ELECTRICAL CABLE TIES
FAN BELTS
BUNGEE CORDS
CANDLES (EMERGENCY, RESTAURANT STYLE, CITRONELLA)
"KOOL SEAL KOOL PATCH" PATCHING TAPE, 2"X24"ROLL
DRYWALL SCREWS
HAMMOCK
ASTROTURF
STEP STABILIZER
FLUORESCENT OR BATTERY POWERED FRISBEE
LEVELING BLOCKS/ LEGOS
CAULK AND GUN
ALUMINUM LAMP ELEVATOR 8/28/09

John Eversoll

Hi there Dan, You might think I'm nuts but here it goes:

I have in my storage-- 40 ft of rope,hand ax, water proof matches
and my favoite,  my battery rasipicating saw with metal and wood
blades...ya never know...and two rolls od Gorrela tape- like duct tape but much stronger.  Plus a real first Aid kit, not the one you get at
CVS or a Drug store, but one you can get at a Army surpplus store.
I keep checking the goodies every time I go. and a drop cloth 8x10.
John

prophetdaniel2

I WAS TOTALLY THINKING OF A SAWSALL!!!! corded or cordless!
So I would add :
-an Extension cord!

Care to elaborate on what is in a "Real" first aid kit?
I like the rope
what do you use the drop cloth/tarp for?

John Eversoll

Field dressings for major wounds and other stuff like that
Tarp.... Ya never know when something is gona fall on your rig.
Or an emergency shelter.
Yea, a saws all battery type....
Oh one more thing... a small Battery charger and an extention cord
spare wiper blades, four cans of heavy duty fix flat.  There is something else but for the life of me I can't remember what is was...
John E.

JerryT

I carry a 15' extend-a-pole and a folding hand pruning saw that can thread on to it. A hand ax with a cute little saw in the handle and my favorite, a small electric chain saw ($35 china) for the camp fire duties.
BUT the most essential thing I carry is a charge card! 8)
JerryT

prophetdaniel2

Ziplocks in three different sizes,
Aluminum foil
Hand sanitizer
I might cancel a trip if I thought we would run out of paper towels! :o
Beer (anything from Deschutes Brewery)
a good collection of lighters
Camera
almost forgot- Yoyos!

Keep em coming guys! :D

JerryT

Skeeter spray and sun block are a must for us.
JerryT

clockwork

A cigarette lighter, power inverter and 10" fan that consumes only 25 watts for summer nights while boon docking.
Lots of disposable gloves.
Laptop with several dozen movies on the hd for movie night for the nephews. We went through half Firefly series last summer and they made their mom by the blu ray edition along with the movie.
A cast iron dutch oven.
Anything  Rouge brews.
Rechargable lanterns.
Witch hazel.
Jumper cables.
A good 12 v compressor.
Solar shower.
Distilled water.
Folding shovel.
Screens for cabs windows.
A roll of velcro.

prophetdaniel2

Good stuff Clockwork!
I regret having given away my dutch oven some time ago. Got any good Dutch oven cooking ideas? Maybe fodder (hehe ::)) for a new topic.
Whats the velcro for?
Rogue brews a burly beer! good choice!
-D

John Eversoll

Fishing pole
spare batteries DD,AA
extra toilet paper!!!!!!!
ran out once, thank the loard we had the sunday paper!!! ::)
Haven't read a paper since.......
Coffe four cans
mini floor jack
spare plug wires and plugs
ear plugs  " for the wife" ha ha ha haa
good selection of 70's music
There was something else?????????  John

clockwork

Quote from: prophetdaniel2 on August 22, 2009, 09:13:17 PM
Good stuff Clockwork!
I regret having given away my dutch oven some time ago. Got any good Dutch oven cooking ideas? Maybe fodder (hehe ::)) for a new topic.
Whats the velcro for?
Rogue brews a burly beer! good choice!
-D
I have 2 variations of velcro that I carry:
Velcro cable ties  that I use for temporary cable/cord management and anything you don't want to use a permanent electrical cable tie for ( oh yeah- adds those to the list) and rolls of the separate hook and loop material with self adhesive tape to help prevent flying object syndrome from things like alarm clocks, thermometers and fans and attaching temporary screens for the cabs windows while parked to keep the windows down and skeeters out ( another mod inspired by JerryT).
Have you tried Arrogant Bastard Ale from Stone brewing?
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm Byron's has some good outdoor DO recipes, and Dutch Oven Dude
has home oven variations.
http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-recipes.asp

JerryT

Fan belts--AND they ain't cheap no more, I bought a pair of "matched" alt-air-crank belts, $35 ouch!
JerryT

Horst

-Bungie cords - lots - various sizes (small for keeping hoses rolled up) bigger for all the usual stuff

-1/4 inch cotton rope - the white stuff at hardware stores (not nylon - although I have some of that too - buy some - you'll be surprised how much you'll use it - and of course heavy duty nylon/towing rope, etc.

-restaurant table candles (the ones you see in old Italian restaurants- red pear shaped glass ones wqith the candle set down a bit - they don't blow out except in high winds) - you can find them cheap at various outlets - prettys up the campsite at night when placed in strategic locations- especially when boondockingKool

-Kool Seal Kool Patch pathing tape - 2 inch by 42 inch roll (Camping World an other such places) -handy if you spring a roof leak, your vent gets cracked by a "football!!!!"  - or by a kid walking on the roof carelessly (grr!!!) - good stuff

-Drywall screws- different sizes - good for quick emergency interior repairs (like when wife puts too much heavy stuff in one of the overhead compartments - bummer!!- a few strips of wood and drywall screws and the overhead storage bin is very strong now

-hammock, astro turf

-step stablizer - I have some big friends - and the Clipper step without support doesn't cut it
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/self-storing-step-save-stabilizer/31477#reviews

mine is different than the one above - older and simpler - but very useful - especially when your drunk 240lb friend steps on one side of the step to climb into your Clipper!!!

-flourescent frisbee (lights up for night time catch)

-don't know what it's called - but I have this aluminum lamp holder thingy that attaches to any sized table, and elevates your lamp to 5 foot above the table - very handy - got it at Outdoor World

-caulking gun and some silicone calk - always handy

-leveling legos - much better than wood ones

I'm sure I have others- post them later if I remember them (oh yeah - emergency radio - the crank kind)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

prophetdaniel2

This list has officially reached critical mass. Great suggestions guys! I have updated the OP to provide an easy copy and paste format for printing and for future updates.

Keep em coming! ;D
Did you think of what that "other thing" was yet John? ;)
-D

John Eversoll

I love the list!!!  the only problem is by tghe time you get everything in the rig the day is shot

Or you don't have room for the dog......

I guess rent a small trailer and throw everything in it..

John E