News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Latest Sailing

Started by prophetdaniel2, August 11, 2009, 11:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

Took my three Oldest sons (7,5,3) on a father and Son camping trip.
     First night: Eagle River, A friend of mine was visiting and needed a ride to the airport in anchorage at 5:30 am :o, so the easiest solution was to rv at a friends home, then make the hour round trip while the kiddos snoozed. Climbed out of the Clipper and noticed the passenger side outside dual was squatting a bit. I always pre/post-trip so this was not anticipated as the rubber on my rig was fine the night before. Closer inspection revelaed that the inside dual was totally, completely flat, and no longer glued to the rim :(. Thankfully my buddy was home and awake in Eagle river, and let me borrow a car, while he monitored the sleeping dogs (kids), which was safer that driving with sleepers anyway. Buddy also had a floor jack which made the later tire swap easier. Turns out the valve stem extension had come loose (screwed to the outside rim) and beat itself to death on the pavement, creating a fast slow-leak. No sweat! I carry two spares! (used to be three, until i gave one to Maxcamper (bill) who used up his spare from a grenadeed rear blowout which did some serious damage to the passenger side of his clipper.
     Next stop: a fun but uneventful BBQ stay over at a co-workers new home in Wasilla. This friend recommended camping at Nancy lake, just outside of Huston AK, for some fun time with the kiddos. Sweet!
Then to the gas station for a top-off and dump stop.
     While dumping, I had visions of some lady swinging in and seductively fluttering her eyes while requesting that I dump her black water for her since she doesn't know how/ it makes her sick/ etc.
This did not happen of course.
Instead A nice middle aged lady (colleen) came up to the door of the clipper while I was sanitizing and asked if I could look at her RV which was smoking and boiling its radiator fluid! :o. She had a 76 sportsman based El Dorado RV with a 360. the overflow radiator tank was absolutely boiling! SCARY! I quickly deduced that she had thrown her badly worn water pump/alt. belt adn needed a new one, which she thankfully had. first thing I told her was that I was not working on the RV until it sufficiently cooled for me to stick my arm in. She might as well come meet my sons while I preached to her about the superiority of the American Clipper. I told her that we were heading to Nancy lake adn she insisted that we drive past it until we arrived at South Rolley lake, adn explained that S.R. lake was better in that it was quieter, less crowded and sported a canoe rental outfit! Perfect! I wanted a canoe for this trip but couldn't arrange for one in time. suffice to say she and I hit it off along with my kids who mistook her for my mother (their Nana).
     I fixed her RV and made several practical suggestions as to its maintenance which she promised to look into. (She really liked Jerryt's ram air ducts under the bumper!)
She was so grateful for my assistance and dedication to the Dodge line of RV's that she insisted on paying for several days worth of camping at S. Rolley and paid (without my knowledge :D) for a canoe rental!
     You meet the nicest people while RVing!
-D
Look for the South Rolley review in the campground reviews section for the continuation of this story.

John Eversoll

Daniel, You have to write a book!!!
That was great!!!...
I have to say that we do meet some very
nice folks while out and about.  I remember back
about five or six years ago we were on the freeway
Big wreck' I turned off the rig and just sat there.
Just then a very attractive RED headed and long leg woman came up to the passenger side of the rig and asked the wife if she could use our bathroom  " This is a first"!! Our daughter let her in the back door
and she did her business"  All this time her friend was just laughing like crazy. at one point I thought her friend was going to pass out from laughing so much.   Anyway, she thanked us so very much and left the coach. My daughter being concerned went to make sure that she flushed the comode and found a $20.00 bill on the sink.
As the traffic started to roll they drove by us and her friend couldn't even look at us.. But "I got a wink"... That will never ever happen again!
John E.