News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Generator Blues

Started by prophetdaniel2, August 02, 2009, 04:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

Ahoy!
     So my Generac is loud by anyone's standards, but I recently noticed a muffler leak which I decided to have a friend weld recently. The weld went acceptably,(burnt through in a few places) and will require a bit of touch up with some kind of high temp goop to seal up a few pin holes. You should know that this generator was recently professionally overhauled by the previous owner, and has never given me any kind of problem (aside from very loud) though it has not been used, but for a handful of times, and more recently since the addition of a microwave.
     After the weld job, I tested the gennie. She was definitely quieter, BUTwhen I released the start stop rocker switch, the generator quit as though I had hit stop. I tested both switches with the same result. The fuel level read just under half full, certainly more that a third. The clipper was parked level. It had oil, but the oil level could be low (hard to tell) (what kind of oil should I use?)
      This was a frustrating turn of events, and I resolved to pull the generac, in favor of going solar with more batteries and an inverter. My wife liked this idea. I figured I would eventually fix the Generac and turn it into a household backup power supply.
     However I took Bessie home and went off to work for three weeks. I just got home a few days ago and was re familiarizing my self with what clipper projects needed attention this r-n-r, when, low and behold, THE GENERATOR WORKS! I am soooooo confused now. I did fill the fuel tank on the way home.

Any Ideas, comments, suggestions, words of wisdom or encouragement, even jabs are greatly appreciated.
Here is a picture for your enjoyment as you contemplate:

-D

John Eversoll

Prophet, I am SSSSSSSSSoooooooo jellous!!!!!!!!
I miss Alaska!!!!!!!!!!!
When my Dad was alive he would always tell me that machinery
had their own personalities. Which to me ment that they were a living thing.. So when he would  cuss at the car, it wouldn't start for him.  " Until he said he was sorry, then and only then would the car start"....Weird!!!!!! Good luck to ya on the Gen. Just keep telling the thing that you will give it the best octane gas there is.
John ;)