News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

What does your clipper need this spring?

Started by prophetdaniel2, March 25, 2009, 02:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxcamper

Hi Daniel,

As usual I have lots to do again this summer up there in Alaska on my Clipper. I need to seal under that trim piece that connects the two fiberglass halves that you told me about, I'm pretty sure it was leaking into the sleeper area. I have to replace the emergency hatch as well. Lots of small stuff to fix too.

See ya this summer.

Bill

prophetdaniel2

Bill, Good to hear from you! I keep driving by your clipper wondering how you are. did you ever get the motor work done?
here is a link to the trim repair topic.
http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=180.0

My clipper fired right up this week, at least two tires went soft, and a mysterious black goo materialized on one of my mousetraps ( still set and unbaited, I keep several set during the off season since the Great mouse disaster) but other than the project mentioned in O.P. she is looking good to go!
-D

prophetdaniel2

Master Cylinder installed with much less headache than I expected, though I went to four different auto parts stores in order to round up the cylinder and all I needed. First store said they had one on the phone, got to the store...nope, next store confirmed a more expensive new one in the store next town over. got there and received the cylinder, but no bench bleed tubes. The clerks looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them, even after I showed them the picture in the instructions. The store after that was the same story, but I worked up my own kit from their fittings section and got a discounted price.
youtube made everything go smoothly from there :D.
     Also did a bunch of little stuff, oil change, fluids check, tire pressure, replaced vent fan blade, filled water/hot water heater, coach battery needs to be swapped out,
installed stove cover-plate warmer-chain mod  ;)
     Finished Jerryt ram air mod phase one! I finally found the appropriate looking down tube/drain coupler to complete the look and simply used the bumper mount bolts to hold them in place. I had the dryer vent tubing in place already and was getting sick of looking at it sticking out under the bumper.
     We are planning to complete interior sanitizing and camp Bessie tomorrow night! Stoked!

Phase two for this years improvements will be:
Complete ram air snorkel mod
Replace thermostat
Finish tuneup with high performance Magnecor s.p.wires and an equivalent plugs
Patch hole in doghouse
Roof sealant mod
Bumper mounted spare tire cover (American flag type)
Swap Trans pan for higher capacity version
I have got to find a way to tame that Generac! it is SO LOUD! like having a lawn mower in my R.V.!
what did I miss......?

maxcamper

Hello all
I was reading the earlier part of this thread and laughed. When I bought my clipper, the previous owner left a dozen eggs in the fridge after a drunken camping trip, they were in there all winter..horrible smell, the worst part is he threw 2 of them in the sink, even more horrible smell. I scrubbed a long time on those areas. Maybe that why I got the good deal on her..lol

Daniel,
I just finished finals and want to get back to Alaska asap! The engine work is probably not done yet, The engine that's in the motorhome now has a knock, but the 440 I have as a replacement is going to be allot of work to put in, so my brother in law has been avoiding the job. Cant say I blame him taking paid work first. Ill probably just drive the knocker 440 again this summer.

Thanks for the link http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=180.0, Did you buy new screw cover molding for the repairs from the clipper club, or is there somewhere local to get it or can I reuse the old stuff? I'm not looking forward to doing the work, but it needs to be done. I just ordered the new exit hatch from http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/roofvents.asp?Vehicletype=RV#  I hope it fits OK. When I took out the Air conditioner and put in the fantastic fan and also when I replaced the bathroom light/fan assembly I used the 3M Fast Cure 4200 Polyurethane Adhesive/Sealant (a tip from these forums) from west marine in Anchorage, it was really expensive but it seems to have worked great, time will tell though.

I might have to do some more water line repair stuff as well, Ill probably just replace all of it and ill have to take up the bathroom floor to do some of it. Ohh well the joys of owning a cool looking 30 year old motorhome right?

Bill

prophetdaniel2

Bill,
     Alaska is getting more beautiful by the day with the warming weather (though I go back to the slope Thursday :-\) Took my clipper out for an overnight at Hatchers pass last night (Monday) I'll make another post about that, probably in campground reviews.
     Perhaps your Bro would be more inclined to tackle the work if he had a couple of hands at his disposal? I am handy and have had enough personal automotive experience to be comfortable helping a larger job (plus I own a nearly identical rig ;)) (not that I am a mechanic, just not intimidated ;D) I wouldn't mind donating a couple of days/evenings/mornings what ever it takes.
Of course my problem is two on/two off scheduling.
    As far as the molding, I have not done this operation myself, merely provided a reference link that I thought was enlightening. I believe that I read somewhere that you can reuse the original molding but It is slightly less flexible and less attractive an outcome, but don't quote me on that. I got the impression that the job mostly involved sealant, new better screws, and a lot of elbow grease.
     I might steal your idea and pull my A/C unit and swap for a Fantastic like yours. I keep hitting my head!
I also hit my head, via stepping up, on the doorjamb two times today! >:( I have quite the pulsating egg on my bald spot right now!  But my sawzall has the solution! :o
     IIRC, your water line problem was only a matter of one fitting being impossible to find, no? It would truly suck to tear into the floor for that, but it has been done. my water system is an overhaul from the previous owner, who would be happy to make suggestions/give advice, etc if you want.

Yesterday and today were an affirmation of the awesome joy of owning this 32 year old rambler with a hot-rod heart!

John Eversoll

Quote from: JerryT on March 25, 2009, 08:16:54 PM
More kitchen storage!!!
Here are some pics of my first kitchen project (five to go)
I reclaimed the unused space, left of the oven in my rear kitchen Clipper. I now have a bin 10"w x24"d x18"h with a 5"x15" door on it. I used a sheet of furnace metal for the right side wall/heat barrier and a 1/4" masonite bottom. Here are some pics of it.
JerryT
Hi Jerry I myself need to rebuild my kitchen but have not the knowlege on how to start. 

what do I do first.  John Eversoll ///// Aejustgivemethelight@hotmail.com