News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

"Glowing" manifolds....

Started by Horst, September 22, 2003, 02:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

My brother-in-law and I took his Clipper in last night to get it smogged and get some service work done. He had the doghouse off for the short drive.
We drove about 10 miles, in the early evening (it was not hot out) and pulled no major grades (we drove from Santa Cruz to Scotts Valley).

Both his exhaust manifolds turned cherry red and were glowing hot.

Should they get this hot after such a short drive?? If not, what are the possible culprits?
Sticky thermostat?
Thanks

His temp gauge read a steady 190 degrees.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Horst

Forgot to add he has a 77 440, stock.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

handyman

Thats what they look like at night theres a lot of fire going through those babys you ott to see air craft engines oh baby you can fry up you dinner  

mollerus

To add to Jim's statement about dinner an old Model A trick of the 30'as was to place stew contents in foil on the exhaust manifold and after about an hours drive it was cooked and you had a hot lunch! These were low compression engines and ran cooler than modern engines.  Glowing red exhaust manifolds on high compression engines under a load and higher rpms is the norm.  That is why we have heat shields between them and the dog house seal.  If the shields are left off during an exhaust gasket replacement (and some have been) it's a sure cause for a hot foot area in the cab.  Bob

Shayne

If these guys say it's normal for this motor, then I'm not going to argue.... BUT... When we see glowing manifolds at the racetrack, it's time for bigger jets in the carb because it's running a little lean.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Tyler Hoodenpyle

Shayne is right about air/fuel mixture, sure fire check is an air/fuel ratio guage and oxygen sensor in exhaust pipe.  Also, make sure ignition timing is not retarded.