News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Coach battery drain

Started by Sfine, January 26, 2015, 08:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfine

I've been noticing lately that the coach battery reads low on the meter very often. It was replaced last November, so only 3 months old. Before I replaced it the last one only lasted a year. It is used often and plugged into shore power mostly when it's not being used, so it should be constantly charged, one would think. Last weekend dry camping the battery lasted just overnight, good it was just a one night trip. We've gone 4 days before without a charge.
While it is plugged into shore, the charge will not reach full, with a separate trickle charger, it will. However, As soon as it is unplugged the battery meter drops down in the yellow. I checked the obvious, lights, pump... Anything that might be left on.  Driving it doesn't seem to give it any more of a charge either. Surely there is a short or a drain,,,whatever electricians ( which I am not) call the gremlin that secretly steals juice from your battery right in front of your eyes!!!
Where might I start looking..!?  Take readings from the battery, I wouldn't know what the numbers mean, at least in a house you can turn off breakers one at a time until you can single out the problem.
Is it all ultimately charged by the same unit, despite where the power comes from. I'm sure this is an easy fix for someone who's been there, just not this kid today.
Thanks ahead of time
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

I'm sure Clipper Joe will have expert advice soon. :)

Did you actually run out of power?  Or did your meter say it was running out?  It could be the meter that's gone bad. That'd be a simple fix, so wanted to throw that out first.

If you use a meter on the battery itself, it should read around 12.6 when it is at rest and fully charged.  If it's under 12.2, then the battery is not charged.  It should read higher when the trickle charge is attached to it.

Are you using a deep cycle battery or a regular car battery?  While folks do it (it's cheap), a regular car battery is not built to handle the repetitive charging.  The deep cycle will last a lot longer.

If the battery is draining as soon as it is charged, you probably have a phantom bleed.  Joe should be able to provide some ideas on how to test for those.

If the battery just isn't charging, it could be your converter/charger.  I put in a new charger for mine and it's been great ever since.

I'll also add that these are the batteries I installed.  I bought them through streetsideauto.com.  I've been very happy and have yet to even make a dent in the house battery during a 4 day camping trip (I keep the water pump turned on the entire trip, use lights as needed, charge cell phones and kindle, and play my mp3 player with amplified computer speakers).

House Battery:
Optima 8052-161 - BlueTop; Deep Cycle Marine Battery; UNBOXED; Grp. D31M; Cold Crank Amp 900; Crank Amp 1125; Res. Capacity 155; Amp Hour 75; Top Terminal; L-12 13/16 in.; W-6.5 in.; H-9 3/8 in.; 8052-161;      1      $224.46   

Engine Battery:
Optima 8025-160 - RedTop; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 25; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.; 8025-160;      1      $144.31
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Sfine

Thanks toedtoes!
Unfortunately the meter is working...lights were dim and pump was slow.  It is a deep cell, designed for RVs.   ...So....perhaps the converter/charger as you mentioned.  That's the part I wasn't sure of, where the power sources.  Would you know where this conv./chgr. Is located, under the hood or near the elect box in coach? 
Let's see what clipper joe has to add!
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

It should be located directly behind the fuse box near the battery compartment.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Sfine

Thanks again.
As similar as these Clippers are...they are different just the same.
As I read your response , I'm thinking... Oh yea behind the fuse box, then I read near the battery compartment ...uh oh, totally different side of the coach on the bunk model!  But I am sure you are correct in that I'll find it next to the fuse box. I'll look next chance and post my outcome....wish me luck.
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
Toedtoes On Her Post Was Spot On.

On A Deep Cycle Battery You Have A Low Of 11.75-12.50 D/C Amps.
Now Your Power Controller, Can Under Charge Or Over Charge House Battery.

1.)
While You Are Driving Clipper, Your Charging Is Done By Isolator From Alt. & Depending On How Much Output From Cab Alt. By The Time You Get To Where You Camp Battery Should Be Topped Off Or (12.50 Amps.)

Try This Test With Clipper Battery Meter, Record Info, Then Start Clipper, Go Back & See If Meter Starts To Climb. Also Look At Alt. Guage On Dash You May See After Starting Slite Discharge At First, Then Should Go Back To Middle Position... Run Engine About 10 - 15 Minutes, Then Recheck Meter. Should Be Higher Close To Top Of Guage..

2.)
Now To Check Power Center Charging.
First Make Sure Clipper Is Not Running.Check Meter Level
Use Some D/C Power, Turn On A Few Lights, Run Pump, Flush Toilet A Few Times. Now Check Meter Again After A Little Battery Drain.
If It Falls Slightly, Plug Into Shore Power & Check Meter It Should Start To Rise. After About 15-30
Minutes  Of Being Plugged In It Should Have Put Power Back Into House Battery.
Now There May Be A Bad Or Weak Cell In Battery, You Stated Its Not That Old.
So Now The Hard Part.
It Is Hard To Explain On This Post, If You Want You Can PM Me Your Contact # I'll Give You A Call, If That Works For You.

Take Care,
Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

Great troubleshooting info....a good place for me to start.  Thanks Joe
I'll try this out and check back with you...hopefully without getting into the "hard" part!!
Steve
     Murphys, California