News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Weak Spark, Ballast Resistor Issues, etc.

Started by Toedtoes, January 18, 2015, 07:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Wanted to share this wonderful modification.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203358

Basically, it bypasses the mopar ignition module and ballast resistor - both of which cause lots of problems.  Instead, it uses a GM ignition module and puts out a full strength spark.

As I have been having annoying, inconvenient, and intermittent issues with no spark (and no starting), we just made this mod.  Due to lack of room in the doghouse, we couldn't change out the distributor to an HEI model, but that has not hurt the mod at all.

The end results:

1. a nice bright steady spark all the time.  No hesitating as it cranks, no yellowish tint to the spark, etc.

2. turn the key and there is no delay for the engine to catch.  It's immediate - like a new vehicle!

3. if you flood your engine, this can usually push through it. No more 30 minute waits while the fuel evaporates.

My clipper is starting up in the cold with no hesitation.  I had already had the carb and the choke rebuilt, so this just finished the job.  Now, if it's been sitting in the cold, I push down on the gas pedal and release it, then turn the key, and it starts right up.  Wait about 60 seconds and off I go (it doesn't seem to need as long to warm up anymore to keep going).

We just finished this up on Friday, so time will be the ultimate judge, but it is looking really good.  Best thing, it cost me less than $125 to do (not including wire or connectors).

I'll let you know if anything changes.  One side affect is supposedly better gas mileage - not as much as I could have gotten with the HEI distributor, but I should see some. :)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

That's Really Good News. ;D

Is This For The 360 Small Block Dodges?
Or Can You Use This Upgrade On The 440 Big Blocks Also?

I Would Like To See How The Summer Heat Reacts To The Unit.
I Know This Have Been Heven Sent For You With Your Misc. Starting Problems.

Glad To Hear One Less Worry, Huh?

Also, Better Spark & More MPG, What Else Can You Ask For.

Guess Someone Will Be Enjoying That Steak Dinner Huh. ;)
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Per the forum instructions:

(The example here is for a small-block V-8 engine, but with exceptions for mounting the module, because of distributor location, this will work exactly the same for a big-block or a slant-six engine)

We actually mounted the module on the heat sink and then strapped it to a wire near the distributor. This allows air to flow all around it.  Not feeling any added heat from the doghouse with the mod. :)
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Sfine

Ah yes!
A little perseverance ..a lot of patience...

It's all worth it when you can rely on Swanee to light up on demand! You go girl!!
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California