News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

1978 Dodge AMCL, Power Steering Pump replacement

Started by satorizero, September 13, 2013, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Jourdin

Clipper Joe,
    Google Doug Thorley Headers, they will show you what you need. They are ceramic coated, run about 600.00 bucks. I run a four core radiator with a Hayden fan clutch, 180 degree thermostat . I also cut out the front panels on each side of the radiator and made 3" dia tubes with butterfly plates so the air flows directly over each bank of exhaust headers, this way the dog house stays nice and cool. You can open and close the tubes depending how warm or cool you want it. I also made a neat water spray system that I installed right behind the passengers seat. It consists of a window washer tank with 12 volt motor. I made a manifold with 2 water valves, by opening a valve you can spray the windshield or close the valve and you can spray cold water in front of the A/C condenser and radiator in 3 places. It shoots a mist of cool water at the push of a button I have installed on the right side of the drivers seat. So if your sitting in traffic on a hot day running A/C and the temp starts to go up, just push the button and it will go back down and you can stay cool with out having to turn off the A/C. I used choke, push pull cables to operate the butterfly plates in the air tubes . The transmission has a separate cooler with a thermostat temp control set at 195 degrees. If it should ever get that hot a blower motor will automatically come on to cool in down. I install an override switch to turn it on manually if I'm going up a grade. I also have a trans temp gauge so I know the temp of the trans at all times. Same with motor oil, and water temp. I have a gauge for everything !  Hank Out!

Clipper Joe

Hello Hank,
Read Your Post, that is a Great Idea on Passing Air Flow Across Headers.
I Have Seen A lot of Upgrades, People Hove Done To Make These Great RV Made Better,
I Have Really Been Looking On A Way To Increase The Fuel Mileage.
Have Read Many a Post. I Would Really Like To See A Cummins Diesel In A Clipper Maybe A 1977,
That is The Year I Have.

I Have Seen A Few 4x4 Van 1 Ton Conversions.
But Most Have Been Using Another Lower Chassis.

It Seems That Doug Thorley No Longer Make For 440 Rv
Do You Have You Model # From Yours Maybe Someone May Have A New Set they have Not Installed.

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Hank Jourdin

Clipper Joe,
    I checked Doug Thorley headers on line, they are based right here in Riverside Ca. where I live. The number is 1-800 347-8664  You can see the headers and all information on there web site, The p/n is Thy-124y-c . It is a long tube ceramic header. I'm sure they probably have a set sitting in there where house !  Just hang on to your shorts, the price listed is now $1004.00 for the set. But I'll bet if you call them up they'll probably come off that price and cut you a deal.  I used to make parts for the Thorley's years ago, Then Doug and his wife divorced. Betty took half the company and based her operation in Corona, Ca. where my machine shop is located. Doug stayed in Orange County. Later Betty died and Doug moved to Riverside taking over the whole deal. He may have since passed away but the Company still exists ! They are excellent headers, increasing performance as well as lowering exhaust temperature !!    Hank Out!

Clipper Joe

Hi Hank,
Thanks So Much For Part# Info.
I 'M Now In So Calif. I Will Be Here A Few Weeks More. I Will Check With Them On Monday.
Maybe Be Able To Drive There, Its Not To Far, From Mother in Laws.

Price Will Be Something, But I Always Like Something That Will Improve H.P. & MPG.Just Got To Talk Wife Into It, I Will Tell Her It Will Keep Cab Area A Lot Cooler.
I Have Put A Lot Of Money In Our Clipper, But It Worth It To Have It Right.

Thanks Again,
Joe
ACOC#3749

satorizero

Wow thanks guys... sounds like a lot from what Hank describes. I am a hands on guy and am willing to do it.
Unfortunately, not very finacially capable at the moment.

I am struggling getting my $300 for smog and registration, then ima deal with this Power Steering pump.

I eventually want to do all the necessary upgrades, like this one.
However, do to money restrictions... is there any way I can get away with a cheaper solution?
It will be kind of temporary until I can afford the better fix...
But how good will it be if I did the most basic cheapest method of replacement or fix?
Maybe new gaskets? Maybe a salvaged pump for like $40?

Idea/questions/comments?

Clipper Joe

Hi Satorizero,

There Is A Power Steering Pump Rebuilt From >>>  Parts Geek.com
Part # 1664-07118489
Core Chg.$15.00
Cost $32.35          26 in Stock

They May Have A Rebuilt Kit, But The Amount Of Use These Clippers Get I Would Not Waste Time Rebuilding It. I Know  On Our Clipper I Bought Special Recommended Oil From Dodge. Can Post Part # On Later Post.

I Would Install Dual Belts/Pulley It Makes A World Of Difference Than Single. Hank Was Right One, He Has Also Had Problems With Single Set-Up, I Had A lot Of Belt Noise When I Ran a Single Pulley Also.

It Will Save You A Lot Of $$$$ In Long Run, Do It Right, It Is Worth Saving Till You Can.

Joe
ACOC#3749