News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Water Leak left lower rear of coach

Started by Ryan949, May 14, 2013, 12:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan949

Hello
I just purchased a 1977 with rear kitchen. This is my first RV and I love it. I have one problem and I am hoping someone can recognize the symptoms and give me a bit of advice. When the water pump in on there is a pretty bad leak out of the left rear (below the bathroom) I got under it and the leak is between the fiberglass body and the tank. I see the water hose that is run past that area but its dry. Its not the pipes or the valves for the sewer and grey water tank drains...There is no leaking under any of the accessible areas (sinks) and the leak stops when the pump isn't on. There is water pressure in both sinks, the shower, and the toilet fills....I'm relatively competent with tools but I don't know where to begin. I don't want to start tearing stuff apart or cutting without knowing whats going on. Obviously I don't expect someone to diagnose exactly without seeing it but any tips or personal experience stories would be very helpful...thanks in advance!

Toedtoes

Haven't had water issues with the clipper, so this is coming out of left field, but from your description, it might be the connection from the main tank to the hot water tank. That might only show up when you turn on the pump and water is diverted into the hot water tank. Could be worth checking that. Good luck.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Ryan949

Thanks for the reply. The hot water heater is on the right rear and the main fresh water tank is mid belly left side. Theres a water line running to the hot water heater that is exposed and not leaking. It may be that there is a diversion that is on that line closer to the main tank? Thats the kind of feedback I'm looking for though thank you...

Toedtoes

Hmmm, sounds like that's not it then. My other suggestions would be to check the actul pump connection and to check the sink line all the way back to the tank. From what I've read here, the bathroom sink is a common problem - to the point that several people have eliminated it completely. Perhaps that's due to the leak being located above the tank and it's more job than it's worth?

Glad to offer suggestions (that's my expertise - just don't ask me to do anything :)). I'm hoping if we newbies start posting more often, it will bring the others in more frequently and we can get the real answers...
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Ryan949

That would be great! I will definitely be giving back when I have wisdom to impart hahaha. I am pretty decent at fixing things but like I said in my original post I dont know where to start. I dont see a way to access the area under the bathroom which is where the leak is. I dont want to start cutting blindly either (really bad idea)...keeping my fingers crossed for a guru on the subject

caninecaravan

The national rally is in SugarBarge this weekend which is in the Delta area of Calif. Mel Guerrera will be there and he is the guru regarding clippers. He is also the supply officer. I will ask him your question and see if he has an answer.
canine caravan ACOC #3552

Ryan949

Ryan949

Well I solved my own problem. I thought Id post up the solution in case someone else has the same issue...It seems like common sense now but I have never owned an RV before. If you go under the bathroom sink there is a "subfloor" or a false bottom. It makes the shelf under the sink basically. Mine was wedged in there pretty good from the wood getting wet and expanding so I didnt realize what it was at first. Pull that up and you will see all of the valves and T joints come together there. Fairly easy access compared to cutting through the floor etc. There is probably damage under the floor because it looks like this leak has been going on for a while. I will worry about that down the road. No pun intended :)