News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

pilot light using propane appliances

Started by pineapple dave, June 28, 2012, 08:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineapple dave

Well  I  got  my  clipper  last  spring  and  used  it  just  a  couple  of  times  for  short  overnight  trips. Than  promptly  at  the  begiing  of  summer  I  broke  my  ankle  on  a  motorcycle  so  did  use  it. My  question  is  when  on  long  stays  parked  do  you  leave  the  pilot's  going  on  the  hot  water  tank, and  refrigerator ? I  would  not  run  them  while  moving  of  course, but  just  wondering  what  other's  do. Safety  being  main  concern  not  small  use  of  propane. Thx  pd

retrorob

I for one do not leave on the pilot lights. I cant see any need to. I know you stated you dont care about the propane use but why burn it up for no reason?

pineapple dave

Yes  but  I  was  more  ocncerned  if  while  I  was  camping  and  using  propane  for  the  refrigerator. Do  you  shout  it  off  and  relight  it ? Or  just  let  the  burner  cycle  it  self  on  and  off  to  maintain  temp?

LARRY RAY

When I know I am going on a trip, I light the fridge about thre days in advance. I keep it on regardless od driving or not. It's in a concealed compartment, and if the wind blows it out I just relight. As far as the water heater. I just light it when I get parked and hook up to the fresh water. Only driy camped once and didn't need hot water then.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

caninecaravan

I turn off the pilot light on the hot water heater. Shut off the fridge and leave the door open so that it doesn't get all nasty. You can put some coffee grinds in a cup and that takes care of some of the odor. When we are ready to go, I have the rig plugged into an electrical outlet, switch the refrigerator on to electricity and it cools down overnight. Once you put cold food in, it will stay cold with the door closed. Get to a campground and plug in again. ready to go. try that. CanineCaravan
canine caravan ACOC #3552

John Eversoll

Hi guys, Just giving my 2 cents...

I have used the shower twice in the 12 yrs I have had the Clipper..

So I never use the hot water... as far as the fridge....  Electric.....

So the stove and over are the only things that use the propane...