News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Speedometer Cable Question

Started by USNRetired, July 22, 2011, 07:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

The speedometer Cable available through the club merchandise order form, is it for the Dodge 440 with cruise control or does it bypass the cruise control?  If it bypasses the cruise control feature, that is fine with me, I wouldn't use that feature anyhow.  I am going to either order the cable through the club or am going to purchase one through my mechanic.  I figure I would rather any profit go into the club's account.

Can someone advise asap?  I need to fix my speedometer problem before the Fall Rally.  I can drive the 500+ miles using my GPS Speed Feature, but would rather the speedometer be working.

Jim
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

bulldog 1995

not sure if the club has it or not but you can go down to your local wrecking yard and get a good used cable from a van and its very easy to install as well. just figure out witch one is bad (there are 2 cables when you have cruise 1 that goes from the dash to the cruise and a second that goes from the cruise to the trans.) you can check witch is bad as follows

1- have a friend or wife sit in the drivers seat and unthread the speedo cable from the trans and use a drill in forward gear to SLOWLY spin the cable AT APPROX 1500 RPMS from the trans first. If he neadle moves all is good from the cable up

You need to replace the plastic gear on the trans end of the cable (very common). just make sure that you get the one that is for 16.5 tires (thare are several available for various tire sizes) it will be the same color as the one you remove.

2- If not then ucscrew the speedo from the incoming side of the cruise unit and have friend/wife watch to see if spins when you turn it by HAND (a flag of tape will help see it move easier). if it does then unscrew the outbound side from the cruise unit and with helper sitting in the drivers seat spin with drill again to see if needle moves

if it does then the cruise unit is bad you can get the 1 piece speedo cable w sheath for the non-cruise models and just bypass it all.

3-  if not reach up behind the dash and unscrew the cable from the back and fish it down to whare you can see it clearly and have your helper watch to see if it moves when you spin the other end if it does then your speedo is bad and will need replaced. If this is the case then I would keep useing the GPS speedo till I found a new cluster for it (if you need 1 let me know I have a few spares and for the cost of shipping I would let you have 1)

to replace the speedo cable all you need to do is useing a pair of neadle nosed pliers pull the old cable from its sheath and useing a grafite lubracant slide the new cable into the old sheath then reattach the ends to the correct units (dash, cruise unit, or trans) when reassembling don't forget the plastic gear on the trans end. entire repair can easily be done with hand tools
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

USNRetired

My problem isn't figuring out which is bad or how to install it, the cable is gone... not there, wasn't there when I bought the thing.   ???  But thanks for the info, it's very comprehensive.   :)

I just need to know if the cable being sold by the club is the one for the clipper without the cruise control cause I am not going to connect the cruise control.
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, my cruise control has never worked

If it did I figue that I would just get lazy while driving

USNRetired

John, that's my feeling.  I use the cruise control on my car when I am on loonnngggg trips.  But with the Clipper, at 55 MPH or less, I would fall asleep if I used a cruise control, so don't even want to be tempted.  If I ever try to fix anything that isn't working, it will be the cab air conditioner.  The roof air works fine, but the cab air is shot.... not even connected and the pump and compresser would have to be replaced.  Probably every component.  My solution?  I installed a fan on the dash and plug it into the cigar lighter!

Received my stuff from the club, front and rear American Clipper Decals, Owner's Club Decals, American Clipper ball caps (yep!), 100" Speedometer Cable and two each small convex side mirrors.  Have everthing already installed - did it today, except for the smaller owner's club decal.  Got one large and one small.  Need to order a second large round owner's club decal now.  sigh.....

Trying to talk the wife into taking a long trip in the American Clipper.  She's scared to death it will break down if we go further than 30 miles from home.  AARRRGGGHHHHHH!
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

Speedometer Cable is installed, the 110 inch Dodge 440 cable I bought through the club for $40.00 and it works just peachy!  Now I know when I'm speeding.  Got the parking brake fixed, cable adjustments, etc...  Oil Changed, Filters Changed,  Transmission inspected, all systems inspected for safety and reliability.  I'm ready!  Now I know when I'm speeding! ha!
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, did you get the E mail I sent ya???
John

USNRetired

John,

No I didn't... I've looked through the marjimjo email and cannot find it.  Maybe wife thought you were a spammer??  LOL! 

Can you resend to my james.l.johnson@cox.net email account?

Jim
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Oh crap, I have sent you so many I don't know where to begin....