News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Checking out a Clipper today!

Started by ibanez737, November 01, 2014, 08:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanez737

Hi all!

I'm new to this whole Clipper thing but happy to find these forums!  I was looking for a good affordable RV and found this '78 Bunkhouse model with a 440 down in Lemoore (I live in San Jose):

http://hanford.craigslist.org/rvs/4731914991.html

Talked to the owner and apparently everything is in good working condition, with the exception of the AC, but that's no biggie for me.

The only thing is, the interior has been 'hippie-fied' a bit by a previous owner.  There's some kind of painting on the table, and some of the walls and cabinets have been painted.  I'm interested in restoring it to a more stock condition; do you folks know of any good sources for stock(ish) wallpaper, panelling, and trim?

ibanez737

Here are some interior shots that the owner sent me.

Toedtoes

It doesn't look like much has been updated.

The paneling is original.  The fridge door and countertops look to be original. 

The kitchen walls were most likely wallpapered - I did a quick look for vintage wallpapers and didn't see anything that looked like what it would have been.  Sfine has the bunkhouse model and I don't think he's replaced it yet, so should be able to post a photo of the pattern for you.

With the table, you've got a few options:

Get a new table - the butcher block look was used in earlier models, I believe your model used the same as the countertops.

Paint over it - you could even use one of those new "woodgrain" cupboard refinishers (rustoleum makes one) to give it a more natural look.

Contact paper it - I actually did this with mine.  I found a pattern and color I liked and covered the plain butcher block table.  It adds a splash of color (all my cushions are solid brown, so the table was just blah in between).

The dinette walls were originally paneling.  You should be able to at least get some unfinished oak paneling and stain it to match the original.  Some folks used wildlife paneling in their RVs like this:  http://newenglandclassic.com/hunting-camp-collection/

I would do a good look at the dinette area - if they painted that, it probably had some water damage done.  The clippers have held up very well against water damage, but it can happen.

'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

ibanez737

Thanks for the reply, Toadtoes!

I unfortunately decided that this one is a no-go; there's just a little too much work required.  There's a roof leak around a vent in the aft right corner, with a small mold area in the ceiling between the bunk bed and bathroom.  The hippie modifications are pretty extensive (glow in the dark stars glued to ceiling, etc) which I really don't have the time or money to reverse.  The propane tank is pretty rusted and is probably in need of replacement.  Front tires are weather cracked and need replacing.  Not sure the fridge works on gas.  Alt belt squeels above 50mph, but that's easily fixed.  Other than that, it doesn't look too bad and would make a nice project for someone with the money and inclination.

Cheers,
Scott

Clipper Joe

Hi Scott,
You Made A Wise Choise To Skip On That $2000.00 Clipper.
That One Is Something For A Handyman/ Mechanic.
I Got A 1977 At A Low Price, Over 12,000.00 In Wilson & And Going.
It Is Nice Not To Have To Smog A 1975.
They Have Some Nice Ones Out There From Time To Time.
Now One Of Our Members, Horst Has His Up For Sale, He Is From Santa Cruz.
He Has Done A lot Of Up Keep On His Rig, You Know You Have A Good One There, I Would Take A Look @ That One, If You Are Looking For A Clipper You Don't Have To Smog. ;D Also I'm A 440 Clipper Man. But I Must Say some Of Those 360 CI Have A Lot Of Power Also. If You Put Headers On Them & Dual Exhaust..

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher