News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

WTB: rear kitchen 76-79 dodge AC

Started by d:fuse, August 31, 2014, 04:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d:fuse

Greetings ACOC,
Long-time Airstreamer here. Looking to get into the mini RV market. Fairly well settled on an American Clipper.  Im in Central Valley California. So there are plenty on Craigslist of varying quality right now. But if anyone here on the forum is considering unloading there rig just let me know what you got.
Among the things I could use some insight on is the desirabilty and "modifiability" of various interior lounge layouts. As stated, I'm not interested in a rear bunkhouse. But most of the floorplans i see for sale are standard dinette and goucho flanking opposite. Sometimes flanker is the two swivel chairs. Those are really cool. Just not sure if giving up sleeping space is wise. However, what i really dig is the wrap around banquet style seating/table configuration. Just havent run across one for sale. All in all, nothing matters more to me than how well the rig has been mechanically and functionally maintained. So I'll settle on layout last as I'm pretty handy with a ssaw and carpenters square. But only just decent with a wrench and timing light. Specifically, I'm wondering how popular and useful the banquet style (apologies for flawed terminology) is, and if the furniture was modular enough to be swapped out with a little light modification should I desire a different seating arrangement.
Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts or opinions regarding the above.

Toedtoes

Hello and welcome!  As an Airstreamer, you have experienced quality in your RVs, so the American Clipper will fit you just fine.

As to layouts, here are the basics with the American Clipper:

Up until 1977, all clippers were 21 feet and had a rear kitchen.  The following 4 floorplans were available:

821F - standard dinette; goucho couch
821FC - standard dinette; pair of chairs
821FIT - L shaped dinette; goucho couch
821FCIT - L shaped dinette; pair of chairs

In 1977, the side kitchen models were introduced:

821SK - standard dinette; goucho couch
821SK-FC - standard dinette; pair of chairs
821SK-FIT - L shaped dinette; goucho couch
821SK-FCIT - L shaped dinette; pair of chairs

Also in 1977, the bunkhouse model was introduced with a standard dinette

In 1980, twenty-five 24 foot clippers were made.  They were available in various combinations of the following:

Front left side - standard dinette or foldaway bed
Front right side - reclining loveseat, pair of chairs, or swivel chair in cab with table and chair
Rear - 3/4 permanent bed, foldaway bed or bunkbeds

I haven't seen a lot of the L shaped dinettes out there.  I think most folks went with the standard dinette.  There are folks who have switched out the goucho couch for chairs.  With the dinette, you should be able to turn the standard into an L shape fairly easily.  Under the seat directly behind the driver is the fresh water tank, so you'll leave that alone.  Under the other seat, there is the power cord and box by the wall - the half that you would cut off is simply a small inside storage compartment (and you'd regain that storage by adding the seat in the center where the table is.  In fact, you might be able to use the original bench and just flip it against the wall.  Remove the storage door (put that side against the wall), then cut a hole in the opposite side and re-use the door.

With the couch, several folks have put the base on a slide so they can extend it a couple inches for napping.  Others have built an extension to fill the space between the dinette bed and the couch when they're in bed mode - creates one very large bed.

I admit I like the couch over the chairs.  I can have someone come camping with us and I don't have to take down the dinette (which is nice because the bird's cage gets set up on the table and I don't have to put him on the floor).  I sleep in the cabover, but if I get too old for that, I can easily move to the couch.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

d:fuse

Thanks, Toes. Great info. Appreciate the insights on recon figuring. Sounds straightforward enough. I guess I mistakenly assumed the couch was a convertible with a slide base to make a double bed already. But that sounds simple enough to modufy to fit my needs. Either way, Couch is probably the smart way to go when sleeping space is at a premium. Me and the Wifey have a 2 year old, a one year old, and one due in two months. So we'll have to be creative with sleeping arrangements.  I also thought about towing a lightweight compact pop up with us and using that for sleeping. Probably gut the kitchen parts and lose any other  extra weight i can. Although I did read somewhere that extra care and some rear frame reinforcement may need to be made if towing anything with the AC. Is it common that many aftermarket tow packages on the ACs out there had reinforcement done at the same time.

Anybody else thoughts or opinions on layouts, sleeping arrangements or towing especially a pop up if it's been tried.

Toedtoes

The couch is actually a "flip over" design.  The back of the couch does a 180 flip over the couch and lands on the outside (there are legs on the back of the back that are flipped open to support it).  The actual seat of the couch doesn't move at all.

You could put the 2 and 1 year old on the couch.  Put the dinette into 'bed mode' and place a playpen on it for the baby to sleep in (lots of folks have done that with dinettes).  Then you and your wife can sleep in the top bunk.

Once the 2 oldest are big enough that you feel comfortable with them sleeping up top, you can move the youngest to the couch and you and your wife to the dinette.  Then move the 3rd up top also and you can choose the couch only OR do the insert and use the dinette and couch as a big bed.

If you're going to tow, get the hitch checked out by someone who knows their stuff.  Some have been reinforced over the years, but not all, and it's not always obvious which is which.  All the tow packages were aftermarket. 

If you're thinking of towing to have a sleeping popup, check out the Take-out trailers.  They were made for motorcycles, but have a surprising amount of room - a queen size bed and an 8' x 5' living area.  The living area is just empty space (although you can get a butterfly chair and a table for it if desired).  And the inside height of the main area is 6'7". 

You could easily put the kids on the queen bed and you and your wife on a mattress in the living area (the opening is in the living area, so it'd be a bit more secure if the kids have to crawl over you to get to the door).  Folks are buying these trailers and towing them with their smart cars - so a clipper with a proper hitch should have no trouble at all.  And new they run from about $2000 to $4000 for the basics (lots of add ons available).

Toedtoes

Check out this other thread:  http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=2686.0

It's an L-shaped dinette like you want.  It has the swivel chairs not the couch.  If you want to switch out to a couch, Clipper Joe has done that and can provide you with details. He said it was pretty easy.

From what clucey has indicated, this clipper is in real nice shape.  The repairs she's identified are minor.  It has the awning and generator.  Her pricing is great - most clippers in good engine & house shape run between $4000 to $6000.  You can PM her from this website or contact her via her craigslist ad.

Ryan949

Hi
Have you found a clipper to buy yet? I have one for sale that may be to your liking. Heres the link to the craigslist ad. Contact me with any questions I can answer if youre still on the hunt. Ryan  (949) 463-1291

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4702616959.html