News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

New to RV, thinking of a Clipper

Started by robr, August 06, 2014, 05:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robr

Hey folks!  My wife and I are new to the RV scene but are on the hunt for a nice rig.  After dealing with a seller for the past month on a different pre-smog Dodge, he just told me he doesent want to sell it!  This is after we planned our first RV trip with some friends on FRIDAY!  Nothing like last minute notice!  Anyways, this clipper has been on CL for a few weeks now and I have had my eye on it.  Mind taking a look and letting me know what you think?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/rvs/4575787793.html

Also, I am going to peruse the site but if anyone can point me in the direction of good info on the AC it would be greatly appreciated!  One of my questions: is the fiberglass shell that much better than the sheetmetal counterpart?  Does it seal better?

Toedtoes

Hello and welcome! The clippers are great RVs.  Before I get into the clipper for sale specifically, I'm going to throw out some general stuff:

1. I wouldn't plan a trip for right after you get your RV (whatever it is).  You want time to be able to take care of any safety issues before taking it out.  New tires, checking the propane tank for leaks, checking rubber (hoses, belts, fuel lines) are the least to check before using your RV.

2. Before you buy, check for signs of leaking.  For most RVs, this will consist of all windows, doors, and vents, and all seams (ceiling to wall; wall to wall; cab to house; etc.).  With the clipper and it's fiberglass body, the seams are much less of a problem.  To answer the question you asked - YES, the fiberglass is much better than the sheetmetal.  The clipper's shell is made of 5 panels:  the roof which includes an overhang, a front panel, a rear panel, and 2 side panels.  This means there is no seam along the roof-line.  Leaking at the panel connections is pretty much unheard of.  The shell doesn't delaminate like new fiberglass bodies do.  Aluminum RVs have huge issues with leaking - everywhere!

3. Also before you buy, ask to test all appliances, plug into shore power and check lighting on battery power, and run water through the RV.  If they won't let you do that, walk away.

OK.  Now to the clipper in question:

It is the same year and engine as mine (the best if you ask me :) ).  It appears to be in great shape visually. 

Per the website, you will want to get tires immediately - RV tires should be replaced every 5 to 7 years regardless of tread because of the weight put on them. 

The cab AC can be very expensive to fix.  If you're located on the coast, you might not miss it.  Mine doesn't work and I use 12v fans to keep the air moving while I'm driving. The open windows on the freeway bring in a lot of noise, so I don't always like to have them open while I'm driving.

You might want to test the roof AC.  Mine will blow pretty cold air, but you have to be in a direct line to feel that cold (the cabover bunk gets the coolest air).

Depending on your RVing/camping style, you may not need the heater.  I had a leak in the propane line so just had the heater disconnected, I haven't missed it yet.

That nice outside storage compartment they show?  That's your only outside storage.  It is also the compartment used to hold a generator (seriously limiting your outside storage if you go that route).

$4000 is a good price.  You will likely have to do some work to it.  Sounds like the engine has been re-worked pretty well, so I would focus on the house area.  Check the bathroom for leaks.  Expect to put a couple thousand into it the first year (about $1200 for tires).  Check the batteries.  A lot of folks put in two 6 volt batteries.  I went with one 12 volt AGM battery (group 31) and it has been plenty of power for me.  4 days of use doesn't even put a dent into the battery power.

All in all, I wouldn't run away from this clipper.  At least one prior owner was a National Club Member, so that's a good sign - someone cared enough about it that they joined a club for it.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

robr

Wow, thanks for the reply!  Were hoping to get into something that is nice and well taken care of.  I emailed the owner so we will see what happens.  I will keep you guys updated if we decide to purchase.

robr

I think I'm going to hang on until the right one comes along.  If anyone has a pre-smog Clipper in Northern California they want to sell, message me!

Clipper Joe

Hello Robr,
Welcome To The Best Clipper Forum, In Town. :D

I Read Your Post & The Post Toedtoes, Put Out There She Has The Same Year, 1975.

MY Wife & I Have The 1977, 440 Dodge Rear Kitchen Model, I Have Done Some Changes, But I Always Believe In Keeping Clippers As Original, As They Were Made. They Are A Amazing RV's, No Matter What Year You Own Or Buy. For Myself  I Like The Newer Units. 1977-1980

I Just Talked To A Fellow In Washington State That Has His Clipper For Sale. He Has Had It For 2 Years Now & Has Out Grow It. :-[ It Is A Peach. If I Was Going To Buy One That Would Be The One ;D.

You Can Fly There & Drive It Back. Can Give You His Contact Info: If You Like?
It Has 2 Side Couches That Make Into Beds, Plus Large Bed Above Cab, The Owner Before Him Was A Design Interior. So The Inside Is Awesome.( Real Nice Redone Shape) :P

I Have Said This Before: Nice Clippers, Come Up For Sale All The Time, You Have To Wait For The One That Is Right For Your Family, You Will Know. Remember These Rv's Were Made To Last, But There Is Always Maintenance To Do, Sometimes They Are Not Always Cared For, So Try To Find One That Has Had At Least Great Tires, & No Leaks ::)

I Got My Clipper From Someone Who Did Not Take Care Of Him. :'( So After A Lot Of Time & Money I Have Made ('Wilson') So Happy ;D That Sometimes He Talks To Me & Thanks Me..

Please Feel Free To Post On The Clipper You Are Going To Buy & Please Join The ACOC, Great People ;D ;D

Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Quote from: robr on August 06, 2014, 09:17:22 PM
I think I'm going to hang on until the right one comes along.  If anyone has a pre-smog Clipper in Northern California they want to sell, message me!

What on this one do you feel makes it NOT the right one?  No matter what older RV you're going to buy, you will have to buy tires, you will have to check the rubber, you will have to check for propane leaks, etc.  You will have to put some money into it.  The trick is to find one that you can start camping in as soon as possible.  You don't want a lot of problem appliances, because they are expensive and can be difficult work to replace.  You don't want an unmaintained engine, because you will not be able to depend on it out on the road.  This clipper appears to have all that - unless you've learned something new from the owners.

Pre-smog will be 1975 and earlier.  Finding a 1974 clipper will be extremely difficult, finding a 1973 will be impossible.  There aren't that many 1975s around, but they are your best bet (of the no-smog years).  I wouldn't pass a maintained one by without being real sure.  Also, all the 75s are the same floorplan.  All the ones I know that are still around are the 360 engine.  So, choosing between 75s is like choosing the best apple out of the barrel - stay away from the rotten ones and you should have a good apple.

robr

Joe, If it is a '75 or older I might be interested.  After years of dealing with CA smog laws I am OVER owning anything I have to smog.  Plus, this really restricts what can be done to the motor if I decide to pep it at all.

ToedToes, I talked to the owner and he basically spent the whole time telling me why I SHOULDNT buy his rig.  Nice guy but I don't think it's the right rig for me.  I mentioned that I might want to tow a boat in the distant future and he strongly discouraged me from buying his rig.  No biggie.  I am not in a huge rush.  I would rather wait and find something I feel better about buying. 

Does anyone around here tow a boat with their AC or is this too much for the rig to handle? 

Toedtoes

On the towing issue.  All hitches were added after market.  Because of the length of the clippers, the chassis ends well before the end of the clipper.  Many people shortcutted the install and just attached the hitch to the plywood - rather than do the extra work to properly attach to the chassis.  Before towing anything with a clipper, get the hitch inspected.  Depending on the weight of the boat & trailer, quality of the hitch install, etc., you may want to do some reinforcing of the hitch.  Clipper Joe tows a small fishing boat I believe.   

Sounds like maybe he really doesn't want to sell his clipper...

Sfine

On the towing issue...
I have pulled my 19 ft Mastercraft without a hitch ( excuse the pun ) the Clippers are very capable with a strong hitch setup. Fortunately mine was alreaded added with large metal posts, welded and bolted. It's obviously an aftermarket DIY, but it's stout.
Our 78 has a 440, which is a workhorse anyway.  And just passed smog I might add.  8)
So, yes they have the guts to drag most anything within reason,with a proper hitch.
What are you thinking of pulling, I'd be interested to hear .
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi All,

On Smog < 1975, I Had A 1973 Fleetwood MotorHome, It Was Great Not To Have To Smog It, But I Have Found With The Newer Clippers If You Get One That Is In Good Shape, Engine & Calif Smog Ready, I Had A Small Problem After I Had My 440 Dodge Engine Re-Done, The Shop Put The Wrong Intake Manifold Gasket On, So When It Was Due For Smog, It Was A No Go, I Found That Mopar Has Two Intake Manifold Gaskets, The One I Needed Was For EGR It Is Cut Out To Let It Work Properly.

I Removed Top End, Carb, Manifold Etc. Changed Gasket, Had It Re-Smogged, & Have Been Doing That Since 2002 Has Been Passing With Flying Colors, Even With California's Smog II System They Use Now. Remember, When You Have A Proper Smog Test You Can Not Have Any Leaks, They Even Should Check, Tire Pressure,EGR, & Gas Cap. Most Problem Is If You Run Lower Grade Gas, Can Be A Problem, Most Big Block Mopars 440 V-8 Need 91-92 Grade, It Is A Cost, But Will Run Better, Also As May Clipper Owners Have Said, Keep It At 55-60 MPH, You Can Get The Most Out Of Your Clippers.

Robr, You Need To Pass On That Clipper, Owner Knows That These Old Units, do Cost A Little To Keep Them Going, Have Put  A lot In Ours, But It's The Way I Want A Safe Rig, & Amer. Clippers Are The Way To Go.

On Towing, I Have My Hitch, Set-Up That I Can Tow, Something Heavy, But I Sold Race Boat & Now Tow Small Klamath 12 Footer. Don"t Even Know It's Behind "Wilson"  That Is Why I Added Rear Camera System, So I Can Take A Look-See While I'm Cruising Down The Highway.

Also, As Others Have Stated, Hitch Has To Be Beefed Up, & Checked, But Do Not Forget, You Have To Make Sure, That Other Things Come Into Play, Transmission Cooler Capacity, Radiator Size, 3 Row Or Heavy Duty 4 Row, Fan Clutch Thermostat Style, Engine Oil Cooler,Tire Condition, & Weight Of Tow Unit.

Well Hope This Helps, & Good Luck Don't Be In A Hurry, Get The Right Rig For You & Your Family.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Clipper Joe

Hi Robr,

One Thing I Forgot To Tell You That Our Supply Officer Mel Has Been Towing A Large Parts Trailer Clipper Jr. Loaded With New & Used Clipper Parts For Many, Many Years Now. :D To A Lot Of The Clipper Rallys. ;D

Mel Has A Metal Material List, On How To Upgrade Your Rear Clipper, If You Buy A Clipper Without A Hitch.

I Would Just Buy The Clipper Of Your Choice, If It Has A Good Hitch Okay, If Not Any Good Hitch Shop Can Weld Upgrades To Rear Of Clipper.

So Don't Let That Stop You For Looking For A Clipper.

Joe
ACOC#3749

robr

All, thanks for the replies.  I am thinking of possibly towing a ski/wakeboard boat with whatever RV we decide to get.  We dont own a boat now but will in the future and towing is something we want to be able to do.  I will keep my ears and eyes peeled for the right one.  Thanks!

Toedtoes

Since you don't have the boat now, I wouldn't worry too much about the hitch now.  You'll have time to upgrade that part once you get the clipper.