News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

FOLOW UP-ceramic coating extra heat shield.

Started by junebob, January 19, 2002, 03:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

junebob

Back on 1-3-01 I submitted a report on a heat shielding experiement I was trying.It was in the news letter and on the web sightunder tips & Hints.The test was to coat the right exhaust gasket manifold heat blocking flange with a painted on ceramic[called slip]to a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness As this took several coats it was nessesarry to let the material air dry some between coats.I also painted the right side of the right rocker arm cover[over the paint]with the ceramic.The heat from the exhaust manifold was suffecient to bake the clay to a solid ,yet porous state. The painted gasket flange became a
solid ceramic .Being an off white in color , it reflects heat as well as deflecting it from the rocker arm cover.The material painted on the rocker arm cover over the paint also bonded, providing additional heat protection.SURPRISE, [I thought it might just flake off the painted surface]Both ceramic coatings are alive and well after at least 15000 miles .Bob Chaney #2626

handyman

Hi Bob I think your experament is great where did you find the slip I'v looked here in Modesto and can't find anyone who has it

Jim ACOC 3172

junebob

Hello Jim. Ceramic clay in the solid[pliable] form , or in the thick but pourable liquid form called "slip" can be found in ceramics stores,or in craft stores. I personally have only dealt with ceramic and porcelian types.Either will work. I used the porclian clay as it is what I had on hand from another project.You can make your own "slip" by diluting the clay to a liquid state with water.Thats what I did .The heat from the manifold will cook either clay to a porous solid state, which is an excellent insulator.But it is not hot enough to heat the ceramic clay to a solid non porous state,[2000+degrees].Have fun Bob Chaney