News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

How do you operate hot water heater?

Started by pdxpfeifer, July 06, 2017, 07:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Silly question. How do you operate the hot water heater and clean it out? I tried to turn it on once three years ago and in the limited time the hot water heater had a flame, but did not seem to heat any water hot? But then we discovered a water leak and shut it down.

I have fixed the water leak, but need to figure out how to clean and operate the tank. We are going to actually want to use it for camping on a long trip to Canada this summer. 

I can only imagine the slide in there for non use  :P :-[
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

The easiest cleaning method is to use swimming pool chlorine granules. You'll do your entire fresh water system at the same time.

Empty your tanks (I find just running the water through all the faucets works well).
Start filling your fresh water tank and put in about one teaspoon of granules as you fill.
Make sure the hot water is not bypassed.
Let sit for at least 6 hours up to a day.
Then let all the water drain out of the faucets - make sure to use all faucets and toilet so the chlorine goes into all pipes.
Then refill with clean water and you're good to go.

You can do a second chlorine flush, but I've never found it necessary. And you do not have to fill & rinse repeatedly afterwards as the chlorine granule residue is no worse than the chlorine in a pool or your tap water (and doesn't have that icky aftertaste like bleach).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754