News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Won't hot start

Started by pdxpfeifer, December 11, 2015, 07:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Hi. I have been meaning to ask for advice on Nina, our 1977 dodge 440. This is the one I was just talking about in another thread that has new carburetor, engine, radiator, belts, fan, hoses, starter, shocks, etc.

We had the first rebuild continually over heating and the second you stopped for gas it would shoot from 190- 220 to 240. Ends up fan clutch was broken so engine wasn't cooling at all. So we got second rebuild put in (I did t pay for any of the second one and that shop no longer will deal with me, but the feeling is mutual.). All the work the shop did with new radiator, fan, ETA they didn't test the fan clutch.

Anyhow first engine would repeatedly not start hot even if temps weren't shooting through the roof, but I get the same behavior on the second engine with all the temps staying nice and cool.

So your driving and stop for gas and very often when you go to crank engine she won't start. Temps are usually around 190-200 in this current senecio.

Whats funny is hubby can't get her to start and I often slide over to try. As part of my "ritual" I unplug the cigarette lighter charger and turn off headlight etc (assuming maybe there's a power drain so sloth the engine won't start?). Then I pull keys out of engine and tell Nina she's a good little girl. Yes I talk to the RV and hubby laughs and rolls eyes. The. Engine starts lol.

Someone suggested cellinoid? And said it was see rate from the starter?

This only happens with starting when engines been running. Battery levels have testing fine at about 80-90 percent and battery and starter were replaced when we bought Nina about 2 years ago.
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

You might check the spark when it won't start.  I was having problems, especially after filling the tank.  I'd have to sit for about 20-30 minutes, then he'd start.  Then he wouldn't start for an entire day.  We went through new cellinoid, balast resistor, coil, etc.  Finally did a mod to the starting system:  http://americanclipperownersclub.com/techforum/index.php?topic=2718.0

That has completely resolved all starting issues.  Apparently the old Mopar starting systems were notorious for this.  The Mod bypasses the Mopar system and provides a full spark (the Mopar system weakens the spark).  With this mod, I can even start through engine flooding.

It's not an expensive mod.  If you can fit the HEM coil, go with that.  I didn't have enough room in the doghouse, so I went with a regular coil.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Just Another Thing You May Want To Make Sure, It Is Electrical Or Fuel Problem.
As Toedtoes States That Sometimes You May Lose Power @ Starting.

1.) The Heat That Is Being Generated By That Massive 440 Under The Doghouse Can Turn Fuel(Gas) Into Vapor. You Want To Make Sure Fuel Filter Or Filters Are Clean.
There May Be One By Fuel Tank Or Under Passenger Cab On Frame Rail & Sometimes People Will Put One By Carb On Fuel Hose. Not Advised Due To Excess Heat. Also Make Sure You Use A Metal Filter & Not Plastic, Wix 3232

2.) Also Check Steel Fuel Line Or Rubber Line Is Not Routed By Any Heat Source Like Manifolds Or Exhaust Piping. You May Want To Feel Filter Under Cab To See If It Is Hot You May Want To Insulate With Metal Deflector.

If You PM Clipper Joe & Send Me Your Contact Phone We Can Talk More On This, I Have Had Some Of These Same Problem You Are Having, Very Frustrating.

Joe 
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

pdxpfeifer

Thanks guys
Let me check under the hood on your suggestions then maybe we can chat more. It's been pouring rain here in Portland so I haven't been very excited about RV repairs 😣 But at least the RV has been staying dry inside so that's a good sign!
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Sfine

I had the same problem, with the same 440.  A new fuel pump seemed to help vapor lock from occurring as often.  Still studders after a hot start until gas is fluid again.  Joe has done some gas line upgrades that may help as well.
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California